BURN Manufacturing designs, fabricates, and distributes fuel-efficient stoves that save lives and forests across east Africa. Our 130-person team, operating in both the US and Kenya, provide expertise throughout the value chain by conducting lab testing, market research, design, manufacture, distribution, marketing, and finance. All stoves are manufactured in our factory based in Ruiru.
We are an eclectic group of designers, builders, and visionaries who are committed to making stoves that can improve millions of lives in East Africa. Our goal is not just to provide clean burning wood and charcoal stoves but to provide a range of super fuel efficient stoves for the 2 billion people who will
inhabit Sub-Saharan Africa by 2050. Do you have what it takes to join the team.
Roles and Responsibilities
As an engineering intern, you will have the opportunity to work with a range of departments in the company, and will be exposed to various roles and tasks over the duration of the contract. You will report to the Engineering and Production Manager for the duration of your internship. The focus will
be on building onto your engineering experience with tasks such as (but not limited to:
- Engineering support in the factory
- Prototyping, helping the design team with new product development
- Working on the assembly line, analysing & improving production processes
- Assisting the market research team with focus groups, street surveys, report writing
- Supporting research & testing engineers with stove testing, water boiling tests etc.
The internship is a 6 month opportunity, with 2 start dates per year, in January and July. Applications must be submitted 6 months prior to the start date.
- Problem finder and solver
- Hands on
- Action oriented
- Mechanical aptitude, ability to troubleshoot and repair mechanical issues with production
- Equipment and tooling
- Excellent communicator
- Detail oriented and well organized
- Works well in a team
- Solidworks CAD skills are a bonus: ability to read drawings and complete design work
Salary and Remuneration : The intern will be entitled to a salary of 25,000 KSH per month
BURN WomEng Internship Application Procedure:
Ensure you indicate : Full Names, Date of Birth, University, Degree of Study, Course Completion date, Internship Start date & year: Either Jan/July
Please describe (in no more than 100 words per question)
- How does BURN, as you know it now, satisfy your desire to become an engineer? Please address with some specific examples and how they relate to BURN.
- Why do you want to work for BURN?
- Give an example, from your extracurricular activities in school, where you worked in a team, and any hurdles you had along the way and how they were dealt with.
- What makes you the best candidate for this internship?
- What are the five things (technical skills or soft skills) which you would like to be able to do on completion of your internship?
DURATION: 6 -12 months
START DATE: Rolling recruitment
LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya
To apply, please send a completed application form (overleaf) along with your curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org , with the email subject title “BURN WomEng Internship Application”