Tropical Health is seeking an exceptional Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist to lead and build the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) as part of a large donor malaria programme in Nigeria. The position will be seconded to the NMEP’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) branch with the aim of building the branch’s capacity in technical leadership of all NMEP M&E and data and evidence generation activities. The position will be based in Abuja with extensive travel to support selected State Malaria Elimination Programme (SMEP) M&E teams.
As a senior member of the donor funded programme management team in Nigeria, the Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist is responsible for:
· In partnership with the NMEP, develop and operationalise a NMEP M&E Capacity Building Strategy.
· Lead the technical capacity building of the NMEP’s M&E branch to implement the NMEP M&E plan, including, but not limited to: o define clear roles and responsibilities of the NMEP/SMEP M&E personnel o define clear flow and processes for malaria data collection through a mix of different malaria information systems o strengthen data collation and quality assurance for routine (surveillance) and survey or evaluation data o analyse and interpret data and build capacity of the NMEP team in the same o strengthen the utility and quality of data presentation, using attractive visual formats where relevant, in key N/SMEP reports and information sharing efforts o promote and support use of data and evidence by all NMEP and SMEP personnel for planning, budgeting and decision making
· Liaise with and leverage on other donor malaria M&E strengthening interventions to maximize and ensure complementary of efforts
· Provide the senior management team feedback on progress of capacity building efforts.
· Work closely with the programme’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Specialist to ensure activities are aligned.
· Represent the programme in technical fora, such as the NMEP M&E Sub-committee of the Malaria Technical Working Group.
Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist
Role title: Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Fixed Term, 2 years with possible extension
Salary: Negotiable and commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience
· Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, surveillance, research methods or other relevant qualification.
· Demonstrated experience of leading malaria M&E activities, with a record of achieving programme objectives.
· Deep understanding and knowledge of health systems’ dynamics and challenges in relation to Nigeria’s response to malaria.
· Deep understanding and knowledge of malaria M&E systems in Nigeria and/or comparable country contexts.
· Strong experience building capacity, supervising and mentoring staff and partners, including facilitating training.
· In-depth understanding of the health, political, social and cultural context of Nigeria.
· Experience working effectively with Government and donors.
· Excellent computer skills, including in Excel and in at least one statistical software package, preferably Stata, alternatively SPSS or R; knowledge of other data software an advantage, such as mapping software
· Excellent level of spoken and written English
The advert and full job description can be found on our website (www.trophealth.com)). The closing date for applications is Monday 19th March 2018.
Send a motivation letter and up to date CV to email@example.com by 5pm (in Nigeria) on Monday, 19th March 2018. The title of your email should be the full job title.
Interviews will be held between on the 26th and 27th March 2018; only candidates selected for the interview stage will be contacted. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in working with us.