Tropical Health is seeking an exceptional Programme Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Specialist to lead the programme Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and Operations Research (OR) for a large donor malaria programme in Nigeria. The position will be based in Abuja with extensive travel to support programme state M&E teams. The position is responsible for providing technical leadership to the strategy and implementation of M&E and Operational Research, managing the M&E and Operational Research team, and working in close collaboration with Government and other stakeholders at both federal and state levels.
As a senior member of the management team in Nigeria, the Programme Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Specialist is responsible for:
Project Monitoring and Evaluation
· Develop, revise, as required, and operationalise the programme M&E Strategy based on the programme theory of change to monitor and evaluate activities, outputs and outcomes across all programme objectives.
· Oversee technical implementation by the programme State M&E Officers.
· Lead national level programme M&E data collection and coordinate state level M&E data collection, ensuring consistency and quality across states.
· Collate, validate, triangulate, and analyse project M&E data, as well as track, collate and analyse data for project value for money assessments
· Provide the senior management team feedback on project performance against expected deliverables and results demonstrating the programme’s impact.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual M&E data summaries and narrative reports.
· Lead M&E responses to external information requests (e.g. donor and government), evaluations and audits.
· Lead compilation of M&E data for project learning and results dissemination.
· Mentor more junior M&E staff especially at State level.
Programme Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Specialist
Role title: Programme Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Specialist
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Fixed Term, 2 years with possible extension
Salary: Negotiable and commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience
· Lead the development and delivery of the programme’s OR strategy, including the programme planned six-year longitudinal study.
· Lead the detailed design of OR activities and ethical clearance process as required.
· Ensure OR activities are successfully planned and delivered, with a focus on building local capacity of national consultants and OR partners such as academic institutions.
· Report and disseminate findings and results of OR across national and international fora.
Stakeholder coordination, support and capacity building
· Support development and implementation of programme learning and knowledge management plan.
· Represent the programme in M&E related national meetings and technical fora.
· Support the Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist seconded to NMEP in targeted M&E and OR technical assistance and capacity building efforts as required.
· Provide support to other stakeholders in areas of key strengths.
· Lead the development and management of the programme M&E and OR annual budgets.
· In consultation with Tropical Health, coordinate and manage short term external technical assistance inputs to the programme in the area of M&E and OR.
· Master’s degree in research methods, public health, epidemiology, M&E or other relevant qualification.
· Demonstrated experience of leading programme M&E and/or research, including design and strategic leadership of M&E and/or research activities and coordination of teams to deliver programme objectives.
· Deep understanding and knowledge of health systems dynamics and challenges in relation to Nigeria’s response to malaria.
· Demonstrated capabilities in management of M&E and/or research activities, including technical oversight of staff and developing and managing annual budgets.
· Experience building capacity, supervising and mentoring staff and partners, including facilitating training.
· Demonstrated experience along the whole continuum of research activities and widely published, with peer reviewed, evidence-based results.
· In-depth understanding of the health, political, social and cultural context of Nigeria (especially Northern States).
· Experience working effectively with Government and donors.
· Excellent computer skills, including in Excel and in Stata statistical software package knowledge of other data software an advantage (SPSS, R, mapping software, ODK etc.)
· Excellent level of spoken and written English; Hausa language skills an advantage
The advert and full job description can be found on our website (www.trophealth.com ). The closing date for applications is Monday 19th March 2018.
Send a motivation letter and up to date CV to email@example.com by 5pm (in Nigeria) on Monday, 19th March 2018. The title of your email should be the full job title.
Interviews will be held between on the 26th and 27th March 2018; only candidates selected for the interview stage will be contacted. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in working with us.