UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information – UNOPS Ethiopia Operational Hub (ETOH)
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia Operational Hub, which manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS ETOH activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services to partners to facilitate effective procurement, supply and financial management.
Under the overall supervision of the ETOH Head and the Infrastructure Project Manager/Project Engineer, the Architect shall perform duties including, but not limited to:
- Contribution in revising the design and drawings of existing buildings and infrastructure, for rehabilitation;
- Participating in preparation of proposals for new projects, and is responsible for the relevant preliminary design drawings and design documentations;
- Assist in preparing design concepts and presentations required to ensure timely, cost effective and quality delivery of the work;
- Participate in the preparation and checking technical specifications and detail BoQ of assigned projects;
- Advice on good project management and construction practices;
- Involve in UNOPS technical team in the design/works; architectural designs; selection of materials, equipment and manpower requirements
- Advice on good environmental practices and controls during construction and mitigate environmental impacts of the works
- Generate regular project reports in accordance to the contractual agreements; maintaining updates and progress reports as required by UNOPS standard procedures;
- Attending co-ordination meetings when required;
- Contributes in revising the details, design and drawings if and when required during the project life;
- Actively engage in knowledge sharing and also improve one’s professional skills;
- Maintains design and construction records and contributes in the production of “As Built” drawings and details;
- Checks technical specifications and detail BoQ of assigned projects;
- Maintain updates and progress reports as required by UNOPS standard procedures;
- Maintaining accurate, quality and completion documentation as identified in responsibilities above
- Performs any other duties seemed necessary by the Head of Programme and/or Project Manager & Project Engineers;
- Produce architectural design concepts based on a design brief by UNOPS and conduct presentations to partners as necessary with UNOPD Design Team;
- Prepare a design brief after a site reconnaissance and meetings with Partners outlining the design program, timeframe and budget estimates;
- Produce architectural design drawings that include plans, sections, elevations and details of working drawings using the latest version of AutoCAD sofware;
- Review the design drawings for the projects from the field in term of accuracy and suitability to overall design and construction requirements, including Identifying improvements in the designs and be able to propose practical solutions;
- Review the accuracy of the bill of quantities of the projects proposed matching the international standards;
- Ensures the drawings are done according to instructions, schematic drawings and technical specifications as per contractual agreement ;
- Check and approve material and equipment incorporated in the works;
- Ensure as-built drawings and maintenance manuals for the finished materials used in the works.
The Architect will report directly to the Head of Programme or Project Managers
- A Master degree in Architecture or any other relevant field is required.
- A Bachelor degree in combination with an additional 2 years relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master degree.
b. Work Experience
- At least 5 years of experience in architectural conceptual design, preparation of scheme and final architectural design drawings, Graphics and presentation drawings and specification is required.
- At least 5 years of experience in AutoCAD and other CAD Visualization software is required.
- Experience in supervision of civil engineering construction activities is required.
- Experience in proposal development will be an advantage.
- Communication skills will be an advantage.
- Fluency in spoken and written English
Click on the link below: