Department: Office of the President
Summary of Position:
The Vice President for University Relations (VPUR) is responsible for raising the profile and public perception of AUN.
The Office of the VPUR is comprised of 4 units, namely
- Communications and Publications
- Public Relations and Marketing
- Events and Ceremonies, and
- Development and Alumni Relations.
VPUR will lead and advance these areas for AUN by developing a comprehensive, strategic communications plan, working collaboratively with constituencies across the University. VPUR ensures that a consistent message and image of AUN is presented to all internal and external audiences.
- A Master’s degree in relevant field, preferably in Mass Communication, English or any other related Social Sciences;
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience, preferably in higher education or closely related field, including evidence of leading a high-performance team;
- Track record of identifying, cultivating, and securing donor relationships, and/or experience securing partnerships that diversified the income stream or increased enrollment;
- Excellent English – strong verbal and written communication; native speaker preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills and computer/software skills;
- Experience developing integrated plans and programs for complex organizations, preferably with experience in higher education; someone who understands higher education issues, and the various media and their impact on the University;
- Significant marketing and communications experience, including working in all major media of mass communication such as radio, television, newspaper and the Public Relations industry;
- Professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources);
- Possess initiative and drive and have broad relevant technical knowledge with good management expertise;
- Previous experience or substantial knowledge of the institutional history, evolutionary environment, the local community, local languages and sensibilities surrounding the American University of Nigeria community located in Yola/Jimeta, Adamawa State, preferred but not absolutely required;
- Professional membership of at least one national or international Public Relations association or institute, such as NIPR in Nigeria.
Other Requirements, Abilities for the Position:
- Effective leader who develops others;
- Collaborative and supportive;
- Multi-tasking and prioritizing;
- Innovative, problem-solving temperament.
The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2004, as a private, non-profit university. The institution’s core philosophy is entrepreneurship and development. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal challenges. The University offers an American–style education, modelled after the curriculum of American universities with corresponding approaches to teaching and student assessment.
For more information about AUN, please visit our website, www.aun.edu.ng
Description of Benefits:
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
How to Apply
Suitably qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter outlining how the candidate fits the job description, resume/CV, names and contact information for 3 references, and copies of professional certifications by the November 15, 2017 deadline, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and interviews will continue until the position is filled.
AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status. For information on AUN, visit our Web site at www.aun.edu.ng