The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Nigeria wishes to engage the services of an Assistant Liaison Officer in its Abuja Office on a Fixed Term basis.
Under the supervision of the Senior Liaison Officer, the responsibilities of the Assistant Liaison Officer is to give, obtain and exchange information requiring discussions and explanations both to UNHCR staff members, Government authorities, ECOWAS institutions and other external parties on critical and sensitive matters. The incumbent will perform (but not limited to) the following duties:
- Assists in the establishment of close working relations with officials in Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Conveys, explains and clarifies UNHCR’s positions on Protection and Durable Solutions to Government authorities, ECOWAS institutions and other external parties as necessary;
- Informs the Senior Liaison Officer on a continuing basis of relevant information on the outcome of discussions with MOI, MFA ECOWAS institutions and other external parties concerning Protection, including deportation, refoulement, detention, training of officials, Durable Solutions, etc.;
- Accompanies the Representative/Deputy Representative, Headquarters and other external parties visitors to camps, border and field missions;
- Drafts correspondence and reports as required;
- Undertakes other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree (BA) in Political Science, Economics. Law, Business Administration or related field
- Minimum 2 years of work experience relevant to the function
- Good knowledge of English Language, both written and spoken and knowledge of second UN and local languages.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Working experience with the Government, UN, ECOWAS, INGO.
- UNHCR Specific learning/training activities (i.e. Learning Programme in Management & Operations).
- Proficiency of the language(s) that are used within the AOR.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) which can be downloaded from www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc and send via email ONLY to email@example.com quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
Kindly note that a written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency based interview.
THERE IS NO NEED TO SEND OTHER CERTIFICATES WITH THE APPLICATION AT THIS STAGE.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.