ActionAid International in its new strategy has identified strengthening resilient livelihoods and secure climate justice as one of its priorities as climate change impacts heavily on livelihoods of people living in poverty. It understands the interconnectedness of all-natural resources as critical to ensuring resilient livelihoods in rural and urban areas. It hinges on promoting agro-ecology and climate resilient sustainable agriculture as a means to strengthening food systems and the capacity of smallholder farmers to adapt to climate change. This will be done by building collective knowledge base on livelihoods in different localities.
ActionAid Nigeria being a part of the federation and seeing the importance of agroecology and its contribution towards improving the quality of lives of women and children also has a country focus of improved participation of women in accountable humanitarian and resilience systems towards the fight for Social Justice.
As ActionAid Nigeria Local Rights Programme leads on Agroecology and Climate justice, it seeks to:
Understand Nigeria’s programmes in response to climate change
Assess the impact of our policies and practices regarding solutions to climate change
Propose best possible options and alternatives towards sustainable Development through Agroecology and climate Justice
Understand what we need to focus our campaign and capacity building towards policy change and community level practices
Identify various global climate change policies and Nigerian Policies/Climate Strategy documents; and
Understand the various mitigation and adaptation measures put in place that will enhance our campaign strategy.
Department: Partnerships & Local Rights Programme
Activity: Rapid Survey on Agroecology and Response to Climate Change
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Deadline for submission of EOI: 12th June, 2018
Timeframe: 13th June – 12th July, 2018
Contract: Short Term Contract
Responsibilities / Key Deliverables
The following are expectations from the consultant
- The consultant shall meet with the coordinating team upon the award of contract to have better grasp of expectation of AAN from the contract.
- The Consultant will be responsible for conducting a survey on National policy and practice on climate resilient sustainable Agriculture in Nigeria with a view of :-
- Understanding Nigeria’s programmes in response to climate change.
- Assessing the impact of our policies and practices regarding solutions to climate change
- Proposing best possible options and alternatives towards sustainable Development through Agroecology and climate Justice
- Understanding what we need to focus our campaign and capacity building towards policy change and community level practices
- Consultant will proceed to conduct the survey in a sample of 6 States of Bauchi, Kwara, Ebonyi, Delta, Ondo, Zamfara and FCT.
- Produce a report of findings and share with ActionAid Nigeria team
- Make a presentation of the report during agroecological summit on 12th August 2018
Terms of Payment
The consultant shall be paid a fee of N30,000 per day for 30 days. He/She shall be responsible for his/her tax and other statutory obligations. ActionAid shall however deduct the statutory 5% With Holding Tax (WHT) and remit to relevant authority. The Consultant should provide AAN his/her Tax Identification Number (TIN) for the purposes of remittance.
The Consultant will support AAN as agreed in this contract and as subsequently agreed between S(he) and Head of Programmes or any other person authorised to negotiate with him/her on behalf of the organisation. S(he) is therefore to indicate availability within specified timeframe stated in this ToR.
Education: Recognised degree
- At least 5 years’ experience delivering similar assignment
- Proven experience working in area of agroecology and climate change
- Familiarity with development work
- High level written and oral communications skills in English
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with development partners;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
Language Requirements: A good grasp of English language
Confidentiality, Disclosure of Information
- Information will be made available for the Consultant and his/her personnel, on a need‑to‑know basis.
- The Consultant will undertake to keep confidential the variety of information and other confidential materials to which this work gives her access.
- It is understood and agreed that the Consultant shall, during and after the effective period of the Contract, treat as confidential and not divulge, unless authorised in writing by the Head of Programmes and with the consent of the Country Director, any information obtained in the course of the performance of the Contract.
Ownership of outputs
The outputs of this contract as stipulated in the terms of reference belong to ActionAid Nigeria
Place of Work & Administrative Support
Unless otherwise agreed, the Work shall be performed at the Consultant’s place of business. Facilities, where there is convincing need for such, will be provided as necessary by ActionAid Nigeria. ActionAid will cover the cost of transportation, accommodation and perdiem according to ActionAid rate during fieldwork.
The selected consultant will sign a contract with AAN and is responsible for acquiring relevant tools needed for the task. Interested consultants are invited to apply by sending a CV detailing competency. Expression of Interest must be submitted electronically to: email@example.com and cc: Abimbola.Ogundairo@actionaid.org using the subject line Rapid Survey on Agroecology and Response to Climate Change not later than 12th June, 2018
PLAN FOR AGROECOLOGY AND CLIMATE JUSTICE SUMMIT
A. Identification of Institutions and MDAs
- Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Federal Ministry of Environment (Climate Change Unit)
- State Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- State Ministry of Environment (Climate Change Unit)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- World Bank
- Oxfam International
- Cord Aid Nigeria
- Ford Foundation
- MacArthur Foundation
- Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC)