INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
1. Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Base
Duty Station: Maiduguri Borno State, Nigeria, with frequent mission on the ground (Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Monguno, Mobbar and Magumeri LGAs. Further LGAs could be added in the coming weeks / months)
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 3 months, renewable depending negociation with donors
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 10 international staff
2. General context of the project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram driven crisis (herein, Armed Opposition Group [AOGs]) has crippled north eastern Nigeria. The Borno State continues to be most the affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 26 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region INTERSOS is proposing to continue provide services through a one-year integrated project that will address critical gaps in health, nutrition, protection and WASH services for a highly vulnerable population in host communities and IDPs camps in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Bama), Dikwa (Dikwa), Magumeri and Kukawua LGAs, Borno State, Nigeria.
In terms of health sector, INTERSOS intervention is articulated around two pillar:
- Reinforce the Health Systems, through train for health facilities staff including community health workers, nurses, nurse aids, and midwives on integrated management of childhood illnesses but also on screening for common outbreak prone diseases, case investigation and reporting mechanisms. INTERSOS will intervene for rehabilitation of health facilities structures and procurement of equipment for designated health activities as per the Basic Package of Essential Health Services. Mobile clinics will be organized to reach remote Wards of each targeted LGA.
- Improve reproductive health through provision of training and materials on GBV (included case management at heath facilities level), HIV counselling and testing and family planning.
For what concern the nutrition sector of intervention, health facilities will be supported to introduce OTP services as part of a comprehensive CMAM program. In addition, INTERSOS will provide furniture; equipment and anthropometric tools according to caseload requirements to the identified health facilities, included mobile clinics ensuring that all identified SAM cases receive the required monitoring and therapeutic care. Both fixed health facilities and mobile clinics will benefit from the RUTF supply.
In terms of WASH, the action plan to enhance hygiene promotion and increased knowledge on safe hygiene and sanitation at health facilities level, but also to improve the environment health through the implementation of a solid waste management at health facilities level, introducing the necessary knowledge, materials and infrastructures for it. At community level, clean up campaigns will be organized and supported through the provision of materials encouraging communities to actively participate to maintain a healthy environment and identify safe locations for waste management.
Finally, concerning protection sector, the focus of the intervention will be on GBV identification, documentation and case management through individual and group PSS activities, while promoting awareness within the community and strengthening stakeholders knowledge and capacity in GBV prevention and response.
3. General purpose of the position
The Head of Base will oversee the Operations, Administrative, HR and Logistics units in Borno state, including Maiduguri, Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Monguno, Mobbar and Magumeri LGAs, ensuring operations quality, strategic programming and planning, ensuring strategic growth and strong external and internal representation and advocacy. S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff as well as effectively oversee operations, programs, budgets and partnerships.
4. Main responsibilities and tasks
Program and operations:
- Participate in the development and updating of the country strategy by providing information from the field
- Ensure a constant analysis of humanitarian context in his/her area of responsibility
- Oversee the logistics, procurement, administration and HR operations in Borno State, aiming at improving the operations systems and processes
- Manage accountability of Admin and Operations actions in Maiduguri base
- Support project field staff in Borno State in the optimal and efficient implementation of the projects
- Coordinate and supervise the implementation of ongoing projects
- Ensure overall consistency in the implementation of programs in every intervention sites
- Coordinate the development of new projects proposal in collaboration with technical referents, key staff and the Head of Mission
- Guarantee a good synergy between technical and support teams at field level and between the various implementation locations
- Ensure implementation of recommendations from internal audits, departmental field visits and field assessments
- Play a facilitator role between field offices/operation and Coordination office
- Keep the Coordination informed of program progresses, obstacles and delivery
- Manage the follow-up of recommendations from the technical and support departments
- Coordinate reporting activities at field level in accordance with the requirements of donors and the headquarter
- Coordinate the capitalization of information/operation to provide evidence to carry out advocacy activities
Human resources :
- Supervise and manage the team members under his direct responsibility, ensuring their coaching and regular evaluations
- Ensure a good level of communication between the areas of intervention
- Facilitate and promote the smooth flow of information
- Ensure that field teams make clear requests for support to coordination teams to maximize operational effectiveness and program effectiveness and quality
- Support the Head of Mission on the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on abuse of power
- Coordinate and oversee all INTERSOS partnerships In Borno State
- Participate in humanitarian coordination activities
- If necessary, implement at local level the strategy and advocacy activities defined for the mission
- Maintain an effective network with stakeholders at local level about security aspects, collect and analyze information to establish risk and context analysis and do the follow up of the teams
- Support the Head of Mission in the production of internal security regulations and ensure their application
- Manage, on a daily basis, any security incident or deterioration of the security environment by reporting to the Head of Mission
- Coordination with support functions
- Manage financial, logistics and HR activities by monitoring and analyzing indicators
- Ensure compliance with financial, logistic and HR procedures within the various Borno State Offices
- Anticipate the financial, logistic and HR needs at Borno State level and communicate these needs to the Coordination using appropriate tools and in compliance with the planned deadlines
- Ensure the performance of the supply chain and logistic aspects
- Ensure the implementation of the HR policy and the management of human resources according to established procedures
5. Required profile and experience
Relevant degree in (Management/Logistic) and/or equivalent management working experience
Relevant humanitarian working experience of at least 3 years
- Strategic vision, leadership, people management, teamwork and flexibility
- Ability to work under pressure in a highly complex emergency context
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Excellent ability to establish inter-personal relations and good negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Strong attitude to take initiative, work autonomously and achieve effectively results
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org , with subject line: “SR-49-563 Head of Base – Nigeria”
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.