RwandAir Ltd is seeking to hire a Legal Officer to provide legal support and perform certain corporate duties by strengthening legal analysis and contractual review in the legal services department. The Legal Officer shall be responsible for carrying out the functions of the aforementioned department in support to the immediate and long term goals and vision of RwandAir Ltd.
Job Title: Legal Officer
Reports to: Chief Legal Officer
Department: Legal Services Department
Key duties and responsibilities
• Research and prepare legal opinions on various matters including claims for compensation against the Company;
• Negotiate and vet contracts on behalf of the Company to protect its interests;
• Draft and/or review legal letters, contracts and agreements and monitor legal obligations under agreements to ensure compliance as required;
• Develop effective working relationships with key user departments to ensure their needs are understood and appropriate solutions developed that support business needs;
• Prepare proposals to lobby the Government and other aviation bodies on pending legislation to protect and /or improve RwandAir’s business environment;
• Provide legal counseling so as to ensure legal problems and risks are identified and dealt with before they emerge as significant risk to the business;
• Advise on civil matters that should be directed to external counsel and liaise with and assist external Counsel in the discharge of its obligations to the Company;
• Brief and monitor external counsel to ensure legal representation is effective;
• Assist in the formulation, implementation and/or amendment of Company policies as required;
• Ensure Company’s compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements to avoid legal penalties;
• Ensure disputes are resolved in a manner that safeguards the Company’s position and in compliance with local and international aviation regulations;
• Cause to be maintained, a database of the status of all court matters involving the Company as well as proper record system of all contractual obligations and contracts;
REQUIRED QUALIFICATION, EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES
• Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Law.
• Relevant legal advisory experience, with a government or a private law firm specializing in commercial/corporate law.
• Must have a clear understanding of the company law of Rwanda, knowledge of the Rwandan Labor law is an advantage.
• Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel.
• Experience in contract negotiation and drafting.
• Ability to work without close supervision, i.e., must have initiatives, strong decision-making, problem solving and analytical thinking skills and abilities to exercise independent judgment.
• Must have the ability to exercise extreme confidentiality (critical), understanding and sensitivity.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize work in relation to needs and urgency and meet tight deadlines.
• Candidate must be detail oriented, analytical with strong business processing.
• Strong presentation, communication and report writing skills.
• Computer skills: word processing, spread sheets, presentations.
• Fluency in written and spoken English and a working knowledge of French.
How to apply:
• An application letter addressed to Ag. General Manager – Human Resources;
• An updated Curriculum Vitae with 3 referees;
• Relevant certificates;
• A photocopy of the national identity card;
• One recent passport size photo;
• 2 Recommendation Letters
The deadline for submitting application documents is July 06,2018 at 4pm local time at the front desk of our head office located at Kigali International Airport, Top Floor building or on below email address.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.