Land O’Lakes International Development is seeking expressions of interest for the position of Agribusiness Development Specialist for the anticipated Feed the Future West Africa Trade and Investment Activity. The goal of the project is to improve the production, business capacity, market linkages and ultimately increase trade within and outside of West Africa, for ECOWAS members. This position will be based in Abuja, Nigeria with travel throughout the West Africa region. Nigerian candidates are welcome to express interest and provide their CV or resume.
Position Summary and Primary Responsibilities:
The Agribusiness Development Specialist will lead agribusiness outreach and business development activities of the project. He/she will oversee a small team of experts focused on agribusiness development, services, and support to strengthen inter-regional and international trade. Working within the larger Trade Hub project and in coordination with Component Leads, this position will coordinate and manage all program activities related to fostering and developing bankable applications, investments, and support to agribusinesses working in staple crops, export crops, and livestock. He/she will work at all points in value chains from farmer-level to local, regional, and international market opportunities.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Relevant advanced degree (Master’s degree or PhD) in economics, agricultural economics, business administration or other related field.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in technical assessment, design and implementation of business support and advisory services to small- and/or medium-sized businesses, entrepreneurs and cooperatives in Africa.
- Proven track record in developing, analyzing and implementing projects focuses on agribusinesses, agricultural finance, and agricultural value chains.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating private sector investments and familiarity with the workings of government and legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Fluent in spoken and written English. French fluency also preferred.
- Strong understanding of private sector-led approaches to crops and livestock market systems development, preferably in West Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in networking with donors, government officials and the private sector.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships, especially in a multi-component project with multiple implementation countries.
- Superior analytic, communication and interpersonal skills, including training and facilitation skills and demonstrated experience working with multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.