Human Rights Watch (HRW) is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
The Africa Division of HRW is seeking a highly motivated and qualified person to provide administrative assistance to the team. The Africa Division is a part of the Program Department which consists of regional and thematic divisions and oversees research, reporting and various other work. The Africa Division works to advance human rights in Africa and conducts a wide range of work, including investigation, report writing, advocacy and media work. This full-time position is based in Nairobi and reports to an Associate Director based in Washington, DC.
- Providing day-to-day administrative support to Africa Division staff, such as scheduling, making travel arrangements, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, creating and maintaining extensive filing and archiving systems, and responding to requests for information;
- Assisting with preparing, drafting, editing, formatting and/or distributing documents such as news releases, reports, tables, charts, briefing papers, op eds, publications, and web content;
- Assisting with research, electronic clipping, wires, and translations;
- Assisting with events such as news conferences, staff meetings, and special events;
- Assisting with the recruitment and mentoring of interns;
- Recording, tracking, and processing divisional finances;
- Maintaining communication between HRW offices, its staff, and external partners; and
- Carrying out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science, or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Kiswahili are required; fluency in another language (particularly Arabic, French, Portuguese, African languages) is highly desirable.
- Interest in international human rights and Africa is required. Africa related experience is desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
- Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally is required.
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current Kenyan work authorization.
Salary and Benefits: Human Rights Watch offers competitive salary and comprehensive employer-paid benefits.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We do not discriminate in hiring practices and actively seek a diverse applicant pool. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, sexual orientations, and those with criminal records to apply. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
Open to Kenyan Nationals or Candidates with Kenyan Work Authorization Only
Application Deadline: 20 July 2018
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by 20 July 2018 by visiting our online job portal at https://bit.ly/2KURUoE and attaching a letter of interest, resume or CV, and a brief writing sample (unedited by others). No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email [email protected]. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.