The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
Overall purpose of the role: Under the supervision of Head of Support Services (HoSS) the Finance Coordinator will ensure that all financial functions in the country programs including accounting, payments and banking payroll, budgeting, financial reporting and grant financial management and compliance are done effectively and in a timely manner.
• In close cooperation with Managers in geographical area reinforce existing procedures and systems for financial management and control in compliance with guidelines of DRC’s Operations Handbook, internal guidelines and donor requirements
• Support timely delivery of quality financial reports to donors and internal reports to colleagues and HQ
• Ensure compliance with relevant country statutory and other financial obligations such as tax, levies and statutory returns
• Monthly financial briefings to relevant Manager
• Ensure thorough and effective budgetary control in the country programs
• Liaise with relevant Managers on key financial issues for all programs in the country, including co-funding, financial reporting, key variances and any remedial action
• Collecting cash forecasts from all Programme Managers and requesting funds in a timely manner
• Maintain a continuous overview of funding levels and pay particular attention to shared support costs, including staff salaries
• Ensure all required documentation for financial audits in cooperation with Coordination staff and HQ
• Ensure monthly meetings are held with project managers to discuss key variances, reasons for these, and any remedial action that is required
• Prepare for local audits
• Contribute to the development of proposals with regards to budgeting in cooperation with Managers
Technical Line Management Responsibilities
• Provide technical guidance and support to other Employees in same technical area, who report to a different Manager
• Advise on and promote understanding and application of DRC policies, procedures and principles.
• Raise non-compliance
• When relevant, drives development of policies and standards in region or country and/or localizes global policies to regional or country level
Experience and technical competencies:
• Minimum 5 years of international practical experience in a senior financial management position
• Proven experience in managing large budgets
• Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
• Competence in providing technical guidance and training
• Proven experience in working with national partners, local/government authorities
• Working experience with relevant donors (e.g. UNHCR, ECHO, OFDA, WFP, DFID or BPRM guidelines)
• Advanced proficiency in Excel
•Bachelor’s in Accounting or Finance
• Fluent in English
About You In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.