MEDA is an international economic development organization whose mission is to create business solutions to poverty. Founded in 1953 by a group of Mennonite business professionals, we partner with the poor to start or grow small and medium-sized businesses in developing regions around the world. MEDA believes that all people deserve the opportunity to earn a livelihood and that unleashing entrepreneurship is a powerful way to sustainably alleviate poverty. To learn more about MEDA and our work, please visit www.meda.org
The Equitable Prosperity – Maendeleo Sawa (M-SAWA) project is a seven-year, $28.7 million initiative funded/implemented by MEDA (supporters, partners and investors) with funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) which will run from 2015 to 2022. The project aims to contribute to Kenya’s economic growth and increase job creation by improving the business performance of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and small entrepreneurs (SEs) in select counties along the Northern and LAPSSET Corridors in the following sectors: • Agriculture/agribusiness • Construction and allied industries • Extractives
The Finance Officer (FO) will assist the Finance Director in managing the day to day financial operations within the organization.
Location and Duration: 1-year renewable contract. This position is based in Nairobi.
Eligible candidates: Kenyan Nationals
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and Processing of payment vouchers and cheque
- Maintain accurate records all the fixed assets / inventory monthly
- Review all staff travel advances & reimbursements.
- Review of procurement documents to ensure appropriate bidding, invoices, delivery notes before payment and recommend for payment once all support documents are in order.
- Prepare petty cash expenses and supporting documents for review, budget, reasonability and compliance; file, update and replenish petty cash. Verify petty cash expenses and support documents from all MEDA offices
- Review site offices petty cash expenses and supporting documents for approval, budget, reasonability and compliance; file, update and replenish petty cash.
- Assist in preparing the vehicle mileage analysis
- Assist in preparing financial reports.
- Assist with collecting financial information for the monthly, quarterly and annual budget
- Assist with the implementation of the audit plan & ensure all documents are in order
- Submit monthly financial retirement reports of advances allowed, with legitimate receipts and expense approvals.
- Support the finance team members when absent, as may be delegated from time to time in writing; performing reconciliations, reviewing internal finance documents, making internal control recommendations and closing matters as needed.
- Implementing internal controls & policies to comply with donor & GOK requirements
- Assist in sub-grantees management process; budget reviews, financial reporting, capacity assessment, capacity building, audit, funding and ensuring compliance to internal policies, Government of Kenya laws, MEDA and donor regulations.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Key Competencies required:
Knowledge and Experience
- University degree in Accounting or business-related field.
- CPA certification-minimum CPA2 qualification
- At least 3 years of experience working at a similar role, preferably within a donor funded project/organization. Advanced use of MS office packages, and database management tools.
- Demonstrated experience working with different accounting software, and ability to learn quickly on the job.
- Communication: Fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili
Behavioral Strong interpersonal, communication, and teambuilding skills.
Results and solution-oriented approaches that demonstrate integrity, accountability and commitment
Appreciation and support of MEDA’s faith, values, mission and purpose
Applications Must include: a cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements for this position, your salary expectations for this role and an updated Résumé (3 pages max).
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications via email with the title “FO- 7/2018” to [email protected] (No hard copies will be accepted).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.