Solidarites International opened the Nigeria mission over the 2016 summer. Starting with a single project, this mission has quickly expanded and SI is now a major WASH and shelter actor in the Borno State. After fast growth it is not the time for the mission to settle and be structured in depth.
The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in the area and SI is answering the targeted needs of displaced populations and host communities in Maiduguri suburbs, but also is IDPs camps and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH (wide range of activities), shelter and logistics with food security and livelihood added to our portfolio more recently.
Here are the key numbers and information about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- The number of expatriates is variable between 18 and 21
- The national staff at May 2018 was composed by 169 members.
- The total budget of the mission is Euro 7,697,062.74 (2018)
Type and content of program currently running:
o High impact multi-sectorial WASH and FSL project funded by EuropeAid (3 Three years) in consortium (leaded by with ALIMA) – SI is lead – started in January 2018 in Monguno, Ngala, Askira and Hawul
o Logistic Platform funded by WFP – in partnership with ACF, DRC, NRC and Oxfam – Monguno
o Emergency WASH et Shelter response funded by OFDA – Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
o Emergency WASH inand Health funded by ECHO- in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in – Maiduguri and Monguno
o Emergency WASH funded by ECHO – Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
New additional projects are being validated by donors for 2018:
o Multi-sectorial Health-Nutrition-WASH-Shelter-FSL-Protection project funded by ECHO (1 year) in partnership with PUI, ACTED, INTERSOS and TDH (leaded by ACTED) in Monguno/Kukawa and Maiduguri
o Emergency WASH in Health project funded by ECHO in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in Maiduguri and Monguno/Kukawa
This mission if young but rather strong and has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the humanitarian needs in the area and to ensure a real humanitarian impact.
The teams are well staffed with very diverse profiles (half former SI, large part of former national staffs from several SI missions, various backgrounds and technicalities). Only one position remains to be filled at the moment (Deputy Country Director in charge of programs Ngala).
Overall the atmosphere is very good, people get along and there should be no hidden conflict to deal with.
About the job:
Under the supervision of his Country Director and with the support of headquarters teams, the Human Resource Coordinator is responsible for :
· General objectives
- The HR coordinator coordinates the implementation of Solidarités International Human Resources policies.
- As HR Coordinator he/she is responsible for the administrative aspects of the mission and ensures the respect by all of, Solidarités International procedures, the procedures of financial backers and the laws of the country in which SI is intervening.
- He/she is the mission point of contact and the link between headquarters and the mission for any questions relating to Human Resources.
· Specific stakes and challenges
- Analysis of the socio-economic context
- HR management of national employees
· Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Ensure post implementation of new Internal Staff Regulation and new Remuneration package
- Implementation of the new HR policies (training and appraisal, mainly)
- Follow up of the current nationalization processes
- Follow up of the recruitments in order to complete the organizational chart
- Ensure continuity in capacity building of Admin/HR Manager of bases
- The HR Coordinator has a deputy (national staff) to manage directly (hierarchical link)
- He/she is working also with the base administrators, who are in charge of HR, and with who s/he has a functional link
- And work cloecly with the CD and Field Coordinators on major decision
· Degree in Administration, Human Resources Management or related field
· At least 2 to 3 years of experience as Admin and/or HR Manager / Coordinator in a professional organization (private, public and/or non-for-profit sector);
· At least 2 years of experience in the humanitarian sector overseas;
· Proven training and/or local capacity building experience
· English mandatory (oral and written)
· Basic computer skills (use of MS Office package, Internet, Skype)
· Advanced computer skills in HR software is an added value (HOMERE or other)
· Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
· Ability to take initiative and take responsibility
· High level of motivation and proactivity
· Resilience to stress
· Diplomacy and open-mindedness
· Good analytical skills
· Organization and ability to manage priorities
· Proactive approach to making proposals and identifying solutions
· Ability to integrate into the local environment, taking account of its political, economic and historical characteristics
· Previous work experience with SI is an asset
[Living conditions : ]
In Maiduguri the base offers a comfortable environment, in spite of limited movements outside of the compound for security reasons.
SI will offer you:
Solidarités International will offer you:
- A salaried post: according to experience from 2640 euros gross per month with a monthly perdiem .
- R&R: during the assignment, a system of R&R is implemented every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 750 USD allocated by Solidarités International). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarites International will cover travel costs).
- Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
· For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Contact : Mano GAUDIN
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Duration of the mission: 12 months renewable
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria