Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing and managing rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
MasterCard International was established in 1966 as a cooperative of US banks in order to create the basic infrastructure and governance to allow bank credit cards to be issued by individual banks with limited geographical reach but be accepted by merchants nationally and eventually globally.
The MasterCard Labs for Financial Inclusion is the seventh in a series of MasterCard Innovation Hubs and it is also the first Lab in Africa and the first to focus exclusively on financial inclusion. With the support of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Lab seeks to impact more than 100 million people by bringing together MasterCard’s innovation and global financial inclusion capabilities under one roof, combining these with local expertise and insight.
The iHub, founded in 2010, is a globally-recognized organization that is deeply steeped in the local tech innovation culture. The iHub has been both the main catalyst for regional tech acceleration and a role model for tech hubs across emerging markets.
They serve the tech community, by connecting organizations and people, building market relevant solutions and being ahead of the curve of innovation.
Since its founding iHub has supported the creation of more than 100 start-ups, employed more than 1,000+ individuals, and reached more than 200,000 people through communications outreach. iHub strives to become the best African support system for ICT-focused tech entrepreneurs and individuals who aspire to tackle large-scale challenges by creating an environment of trust and experimentation that facilitates the growth of entrepreneurs and their companies with the acknowledgement that this is only possible with strong partnerships. iHub ensures it uses a culture of inclusivity to include those traditionally left out in society.
The AIM consortium has a combination of more than 50 years’ experience connecting organizations and people, building market relevant solutions and being ahead of the curve of innovation. Community connectedness is one of the Lab’s key advantages. We are able to convene a community around the issues of disaster, emergency preparedness and innovation. We continuously invigorate a vibrant community of innovators and entrepreneurs able to build globally competitive companies, while solving the myriad of problems present in Africa and across the developing world. We develop people by providing an environment that allows them to visibly grow in their technical and non-technical skills, and critically, act as a connector, allowing world captains in business and technology to meet with aspiring entrepreneurs fresh from high school.
DEPP LAB PROJECT
The DEPP Lab project is a twenty-two (22) months project being implemented by the AIM-DEPP Lab Consortium whose objective is to increase preparedness and resilience of disaster-prone communities in Garissa and Marsabit counties of Kenya by drawing on their deep knowledge of pastoralist communities.
The Consortium will undertake activities to meet the objective by utilizing the Consortium member’s in house experience in managing labs and proven innovation methodology. The project will build up communities’ capacities to identify and evaluate the risks related to natural disasters and innovative mitigation measures to address these gaps.
The consortium will identify and reinforce existing disaster coping mechanisms and refine new contingency measures emerging from the target communities. The consortium will also ensure participation of rural communities at the village level rather than focus on urban issues, as an innovation labs need to.
The purpose of the position is to provide logistical support to project activities at Nairobi office while supporting the DEPP Lab field offices in Marsabit and Garissa; with adherence to Adeso policies and procedures.
S/he will be a full-time member of the Adeso team and will play a crucial role in assisting with the management of logistics activities for the DEPP project under the supervision of the Project Director and technical guidance of the Operations Manager.
The Logistics Assistant will be responsible for ensuring quality in DEPP Lab’s logistics activities at Nairobi and the field offices in Garissa and Marsabit.
S/he will also ensure that the logistics function is delivered timely, cost-effectively and with high quality and appropriate standards; and support field teams in achieving and maintaining minimum standards in logistics activities.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Ensuring that project procurement is conducted in line with Adeso policies and that procurement tracking is current and updated on weekly basis.
· Supporting field offices in ensuring that quality and reliable goods/services are purchased while maintaining records of project purchases.
· Assisting the Project Director and Operations Manager in maintaining and updating files with information relating to procurement undertaken and ensuring that they are consistent with Adeso policies.
· Ensuring timely and accurate reporting of logistics activities to the Project Director and Operations Manager.
· Ensuring timely delivery of program supplies to field sites in line with project implementation.
· Assisting in development, monitoring and review of procurement plans.
· Ensuring that all contracts with the organization are in an updated database spreadsheet and are paid on time by constantly following up with Finance to ensure timely payment.
· Adhering to Adeso procurement policies and specific donor procurement regulations.
Transport and Travel
· Managing and coordinating vehicles and drivers used by the team and ensuring that drivers and vehicles are appropriately allocated.
· Hiring additional vehicles when necessary through an effective value-for-money process based on movement plans.
· Compile the monthly vehicle mileage, fuel consumption and maintenance reports.
· Receive log sheets on monthly basis and ensure that the drivers fill in the log sheets accurately on a daily basis.
· Arranging for road transportation of passengers or cargo when necessary.
· Frequently inspecting and ensuring that vehicles are periodically scheduled for maintenance and service.
· Ensuring that all Adeso assets and equipment used in the field are properly assessed and documented (including physical location, users and condition) to contribute to an updated country program asset register.
· As the custodian of all Logistics documents, ensuring that all documentation is completed and stored in readiness for external and internal audit requirements.
· Carrying out periodic stock checks and to provide physical count of random items in storage. To manage all paperwork related to stored items, including inventory register, delivery and receipt papers.
· In accordance with Adeso Asset policy, ensure all items received and issued are tracked and properly recorded in both HQ and field offices.
· Plan and conduct the asset verification on a quarterly basis and update the register and report any variance.
· Ensuring logistics support in the event of emergencies and that all necessary advance measures have been taken and communicated to staff.
· In coordination with ICT Department, be responsible for ICT project equipment including computers, satellite phones, telephones and all communication gadgets etc.
· Managing the contracts with the internet service provider and tracking performance and end-date.
· Ensuring that all ICT resources i.e. printers and scanners are in good working conditions and report defects and maintenance needs to ICT.
· Providing basic IT support/networking support when necessary.
· Liaising with other NGOs and UN agencies on logistics issues.
· Ensuring that systems for regular maintenance or repair are implemented for vehicles and other equipment and that routine maintenance and repair of communication and office equipment (computer, radios, satellite phones, power generators) is carried out per schedule.
· Ensuring that proper tracking of equipment out for maintenance is followed.
· Providing technical supervision to drivers on matters related to safety and security.
· Acting as the security focal point for Kenya field offices;
· Remotely monitor Adeso Kenya operational areas and providing all staff with regular security briefings especially before travel.
· Conducting regular security and risk assessments for all Adeso Kenya operational areas.
· Supervising security guards’ performance in the field offices.
· Ensuring that field communications needs are met and that staff are trained on the use of radios and other communication equipment as necessary.
· Liaising with local authority security agencies, UN Agencies, NGOs and other external actors to gain security information and analysis in all Kenya operations area.
· Ensuring that office running bills are paid on time.
· Regularly conducting field visits to assess if the field sites are complying with procurement, safety and security regulations.
· Providing regular orientation and advice to new staff and visitors.
· Any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Director and Operations Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
· Diploma in Procurement/Supply Chain Management or its equivalent in a relevant field.
· Minimum three (3) years’ experience in similar role (NGO experience preferred).
· Knowledge of donor regulations including EU and USAID will be an added advantage.
· Ability to support personnel and cargo transport, fleet management.
· Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to properly organise priorities.
· Experience in setting up offices and close out of projects.
· Excellent IT skills; MS Word, MS Excel and email are a must.
· Technical IT skills, such as networking and problem solving are advantage.
· Honesty and transparency.
· Excellent people management skills and good communication skills.
· Ability to work effectively in multicultural environment
· Proven ability to work in a team setting.
· Highly organized and self-motivated.
· Ability to work under high pressure and prioritize tasks.
· High standard of written and spoken English.
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: LOGISTICS ASSISTANT – DEPP LAB
Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org,
Project: DEPP – Disasters and Emergencies Preparedness Program
Reporting To: Logistics Assistant – DEPP Lab
Working With: Project Director with Technical Guidance from the Operations Manager
Program/Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: Seven (7) Months
Starting Date: Immediately
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected], quoting “Logistics Assistant – DEPP” in the email subject matter, by 2nd August, 2018.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources department and include the following:
· An updated CV and contacts information for three work-related referees.
· An application letter demonstrating your suitability for the position.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.