Area of work: MENTOR bases in the North West CAR.
Duty station: Batangafo (Ouham prefecture)
Responsible to: The Country Director for MENTOR Initiative CAR
Responsible for: Field Programme Coordinator (expat); log/admin/programme staff (national) at the Batangafo base
Duration: 12 months
Fee: 3,500USD -3,800 USD per month
The Base Coordinator will manage the MENTOR Initiative field base in Batangafo (north western CAR) and oversee disease control programme activities in the sub prefectures of Batangafo and Nana Bakassa.
The main responsibilities of this post include the following:
1. Security Management
In close collaboration with the CD and the Country Programme Coordinator, the base coordinator is responsible for overall security management in a highly unstable area.
- Ensure solid networking and in depth and regular information collection on the situation in and around Batangafo sub prefecture
- Include MENTOR’s logistics coordinator (security focal point) in security management.
- Brief the CD on a regular basis on the security situation in the Batangafo area and provide input to the MENTOR Initiative security guidelines for CAR as requested by the CD.
- In the event and as per instructions from the CD, oversee and manage any security incidents in the Batangafo are – including evacuation or hibernation.
- Ensure the strict respect of general security rules (vehicle usage, curfew, appropriate behaviour etc) by all MENTOR team members present in Batangafo.
2. Programme support:
With technical support from the Field Programme Coordinator (FPC), the Base Coordinator in Batangafo is responsible for organising and supervising community health activities in the target area. This includes:
- Through the direct management of the FPC, ensure continued programme implementation through the network of Community Health Workers and support to 3 health posts.
- Ensure an efficient supply chain of for the Community Health Workers and related health posts.
- Direct line management of MENTOR employed national supervisors (whom the FPC is managing functionally) and ensure that work schedules and action plans are developed and adhered to.
- Active participation in individual and supervisory sessions
- Close collaboration with other health stakeholders in the target area.
3. Operational support – Batangafo base
With support from the Finance Coordinator, the Logistics Coordinator and the CD, the Base Coordinator ensures that the Batangafo base operates on the basis of MENTOR’s existing standardised systems and procedures within all as pects of operational support:
- Directly responsible for management and maintenance of the field base in Batangafo
- Assist the Finance Coordinator and the CD with the proper implementation of MENTOR finance field systems to ensure that timely and accurate financial reporting is sent to the team in Bangui as required as well as oversee adequate cash flow and regular follow up on budget expenditure and planning.
- Oversee that standard MENTOR administrative procedures and forms are adhered to and used for regular administrative matters and, in particular, in regards to the initial set up of the field base including registration of the organisation and/or setup of MoUs with relevant local authorities.
- In close collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator, ensure proper implementation of logistics procedures for warehousing and asset management, fleet and fuel management, communications systems and maintenance, local procurement and overall programme logistics support for programme activities.
- With the assistance from the Finance Coordinator, ensure that HR management systems for the MENTOR mission in Central African Republic are adhered to through transparent recruitment procedures, respect of internal rules and regulations, performance reviews, complaints systems, salary scale, local payroll etc.
- With support from the CD, overall responsible for the respect and adherence by expat and local team members in Batangafo to the MENTOR code of conduct including policies in regards to sexual harassment.
- Organise regular general team meetings, technical meetings as well as operational support meetings
- Provide input to MENTOR internal situation reports
- Provide regular written updates on the security situation in Batangafo.
- Assist the CD with field related information for external reports and/or donor proposals.
- Participate in external meetings related to general or security context in the areas of intervention.
- Organise and participate in technical meetings with health stakeholders in the target area.
- Ensure a transparent and efficient exchange of data, context reports etc with relevant stakeholders.
- Provide support during agreed media and/or donor related field visits as required by the CD
- Includes the possibility of transfer to another similar post in another MENTOR country programme within the period of this contract agreement.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Country Director and agreed with the MENTOR Programme Manager at HQ level.
- Relevant experience in programme management – in particular on logistical and administrative aspects.
- Solid experience with operations in insecure and volatile environments
- Organised, self starter, able to build and maintain partnerships
- Proven capacity to train others
- Flexible and willing to learn
- Excellent team worker and communications skills
- Practical, hands on approach
- Fluent French and good English (written and oral)
- Familiarity with NGO working environments and standard procedures.
Send CV and letter of motivation to [email protected]
Applications sent without a letter of motivation will not be considered