Job Title: Assistant Project Manager, Libya (based in Tunis)
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Special Requirements: Right to work in Tunisia
Department/Business Unit: BBC Media Action
Reports to: Project Manager, Libya
Contract duration: to end March 2019 (with extension subject to funding)
Salary: Competitive salary (depending on qualification and experience)
Closing date: 16th November 2018
To apply send a covering letter of maximum 2 pages demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the post, along with your CV (both in English) to: [email protected] with the subject “Assistant Project Manager- BBC Media Action”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
BBC Media Action in North Africa
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to transform lives throughout the world. To achieve this, BBC Media Actions partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
- Produce creative programmes based on robust research in multi-media formats, which inform and engage audiences on key governance and development issues;
- Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
The BBC Media Action North Africa office has developed its work across the Maghreb from a base in Tunis from where a portfolio of media projects for Tunisia, Libya, Algeria and the region are run.
Overall Purpose of Job
The projects team ensures that projects are delivered on time, to budget and to the highest standards, and in accordance with BBC editorial values. The Assistant Projects Manager will be tasked directly by the Project Manager, although s/he will also be expected to be proactive. Tight deadlines are common. Attention to detail is vital, as well as a can-do attitude and extremely strong relationship management skills. This role supports our North Africa office working on Libya projects.
- Provide support to country-based project teams by managing aspects of a portfolio of projects, as directed by Projects Manager.
- Ensure that project outputs are achieved by effective management of resources and processes, monitoring schedules, and deadlines for project deliverables.
- Support smooth running of project activities and coordinate with planning, schedules and documentation such as risk assessments as required.
- Assist in the creation of analytical donor reports to meet deadlines.
- Work closely with trainers, trainees and BBC Media Action staff to organise and coordinate project activities (including capacity-building and production activities) in line with agreed objectives.
- Support in selecting trainees for projects where relevant and monitor their progress and support their learning.
- Help coordinate monitoring and evaluation activities with the Research team, for example trainer and trainee evaluation of training and production.
- Follow BBC safety requirements and instructions and support project /country office teams to comply with BBC Media Action procedures, such as health and safety guidelines, financial management procedures and procurement guidelines as required.
- Contribute to the editorial quality and compliance of all programmes and materials produced, with support from in-country and London teams.
- Support the assessment of future project needs and engage in discussions around work beyond current project.
- Ad hoc English and Arabic and/or French translation tasks as required.
- Be available to work in office or on location, and may be required sometimes to work long hours, on weekends or on public holidays.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience:
- Evidence of supporting projects.
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills to prioritise workloads, meet deadlines and respond flexibly to rapidly changing priorities.
- Solid administrative skills and knowledge of computer packages (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- The ability to work independently and proactively.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure.
- Good communication skills, the ability to deal confidently and effectively with staff at all levels, as well as external contacts, both in person and on the telephone.
- Experience of working as part of a team and dealing with a wide range of people including donors, financial managers and consultants.
- Experience of working in either media or development.
- Knowledge and understanding of the varying needs and interests of audiences and beneficiaries in North Africa, particularly Libya, Tunisia, and Algeria.
- Knowledge of/ interest in media landscape in North Africa, particularly Libya, Tunisia and Algeria.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to write well in English.
- Fluent in English and also able to work in Arabic and/or French to a high standard.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience living and working in North Africa or the Middle East, ideally in the development and/or media field.