The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and ambitious researcher and development scientist to lead its effort to strengthen agricultural Business and Market Development in Ethiopia. This is a great opportunity to contribute to agricultural transformation in Ethiopia working closely with government and commercial partners from several sectors to improve potato and sweetpotato value chains as pathways to more resilient, nutritious and profitable agri-food systems in Ethiopia.
About CIP’s program
Cip, a global CGIAR research center, works with partners to improve diets and incomes of poor people in Africa, Asia and Latin America through scientific research, innovation, and capacity strengthening. Focusing on potato and sweetpotato as the entry point, CIP’s programs seek to strengthen broader agrifood systems to generate economic, social and nutritional benefits for farmers, enterprises and consumers emphasizing the priorities of women and youth in particular. The program in Ethiopia emphasizes the development and utilization of improved nutritious, resilient potato and sweetpotato that can create economic opportunities and contribute to improved nutrition and food security. CIP is working closely with government ministries and institutes in the agriculture and health sectors as well as commercial partners to increase public and private investments towards rural growth and sustainable and nutritious food systems. CIP’s program coverage includes the Northern, Central and Southern regions of Ethiopia.
About the position
The Business and Market Development Scientist will lead CIP’s engagement with commercial partners in Ethiopia to increase investments in commercial processing and marketing of nutritious foods with an initial emphasis on biofortified sweetpotato. S/he will lead a designated program component focused on adapting and scaling out commercial food processing, supply chain models, and marketing of nutritious sweetpotato-based foods and fresh roots as well as other nutritious foods. The Business and Market Development Scientist will apply latest approaches and methodologies for supporting development of small and medium scale businesses in the food sector, building inclusive supply chains, and creating demand in both rural and urban markets with particular emphasis on lower income consumers. S/he will link CIP with pertinent business and nutrition networks and development initiatives in Ethiopia, Africa and globally, and will contribute to wider CGIAR research programs on agriculture and nutrition. The position will report to CIP’s global Sweetpotato Program Leader and will be based in Addis Ababa.
Research and technical leadership (50%)
- Provide research and technical leadership to CIP’s project portfolio in the area of business and market development, including during project design, work planning, advanced trainings, operational research, and reviews and evaluations.
- Lead the development and management of partnerships with commercial partners in Ethiopia with an initial focus on food processing and marketing and subsequent expansion into production and input markets.
- Lead the development of project modules and methodologies on business and market development customized to CIP’s program in Ethiopia and other countries as will be determined; and build the capacity of CIP and partner teams to implement these approaches.
- Together with colleagues from CIP and research partners, lead the production of scientific and technical publications on business and market development, and contribute to dissemination through conferences and similar forums.
Project leadership (50%)
- Provide overall technical and management leadership for the project component on Scaling Up Sweetpotato Through Agriculture and Nutrition in Ethiopia (pending award for next phase).
- Lead, supervise and mentor a team of researchers and other project staff, promote accountability and ensuring that all staff members are effectively contributing to relevant decision-making processes.
- Manage CIP’s partnerships with government and commercial partners contributing to the project and initiate new collaborations, represent the project vis-à-vis the donor, and ensure that the project is well understood and highly regarded by the donor, government and all project partners.
- Ensure timeliness and quality of all reporting and responsiveness to donor requests, working closely with the M&E staff.
- Coordinate with M&E, finance and administration staff to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activities including logistics, procurement, security, administration and human resources.
Who are we looking for?
- PhD in a field related to business and market development, preferably in the social sciences. Specific training in the agricultural or food sectors is a definite advantage.
- At least 5 years of strong hands-on experience of working or partnering with the commercial private sector in the agriculture or food industry.
- Direct experience applying business and market development approaches in the context of international development programs, preferably within Africa or Asia. • Strong track record of original research and publications in relevant areas.
- Proven track record of excellent project management and reporting skills.
- Excellent leadership skills to promote effective collaboration within the team and across partner organizations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
- Willingness and ability to travel and work in resource-poor, rural areas. Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
- CIP scientists are recent World Food Price Winners, and CIP has been recently awarded the AlSumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
- Exciting career opportunities in an international organization.
- Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contracts with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
Visit the following link: http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on December 1, 2018 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.