Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change in the lives of children in over 120 countries around the world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation and collaboration, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where we help children and families help themselves. We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a variety of local partners while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation. Save the Children’s mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children is looking for an experienced development professional to work within the Nigeria Country Programme. This role will be critical for the delivery of results for children.
Breakthrough ACTION (BA) is a five-year cooperative agreement from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to lead USAID’s social and behavior change (SBC) programming around the world. Breakthrough ACTION/Nigeria (BA/N) focuses on malaria; maternal, newborn, and child health including nutrition (MNCH+N); family planning (FP); and tuberculosis (TB); and increasing the capacity of national and sub-national entities to coordinate and oversee quality SBC programming. BA/N will collaborate closely with the relevant USAID service delivery and commodities implementation partners from the outset to ensure seamless coordination between supply, demand, and quality of services. BA/N will work at the national level a nd in 11 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Three states will implement an integrated SBC approach, seven states will implement a malaria-only SBC approach, and FCT will implement an FP-only SBC approach.
The MNCH+Nutrition Advisor will provide technical leadership and advice to other programme staff on the Breakthrough-Action project, staff in the programme states and Ministry of Health officials at state and LGA level in the area of MNCH+ Nutrition. Within the project, the MNCH+N Advisor reports to the Deputy Director-Integrated SBC. S/he is responsible for will provide technical inputs on MNCH+N related issues both at the Abuja level and state levels. They will also assist operational planning and implementation and provide technical assistance to the BA-N state teams on MNCH+N issues. S/he works closely with the various teams within the BA-N Abuja office including the Capacity and Sustainability Team, the SBC and Innovations Team, the Monitoring and Quality Assurance Team, as well as the BA-N state teams in Bauchi, Kebbi, and Sokoto.
* Under the supervision of the DPD-Integrated SBC and supported by the Head of Nutrition, provide technical assistance to the BA-N team on planning, coordination, training, and monitoring and evaluation of programme activities related to social and behaviour change on MNCH+Nutrition within BA-N’s Integrated SBC strategic approach.
* Establish and maintain a good working relationships with Government actors supporting MNCH+Nutrition efforts at National, State and LGA levels.
* Provide technical assistance to the State level government counterparts to build their capacity to implement SBC for MNCH+Nutrition.
* Participate in meetings, seminars, debriefings and MNCH+Nutrition related events.
* Write and contribute to reporting including monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required by the project, and case studies, and lessons learned etc.
* Participate in the design and implementation of assessments and evaluation studies related to MNCH+Nutrition.
* Support the work of consultants in the States as needs arise.
* Represent Breakthrough Action at national level meetings.
* Prepare and present presentations for review and planning meetings or any relevant programme dissemination events.
* Provide mentoring and capacity building for programme teams in the BA-N Abuja HQ and state level offices and for implementing partners in relation to social and behaviour change for MNCH+Nutrition.
* Support State level staff to prepare, implement, follow up and monitor plans for all capacity building efforts and to organise programme activities related to MNCH+Nutrition.
* Reach out to stakeholders implementing MNCH+Nutrition interventions at the State level and promote coordination.
* Collaborate, coordinate and exchange best practices and lessons learned with other MNCH+Nutrition related projects implemented by Save the Children in the country and globally.
* Ensure that project activities are in line with the local law and international standards, laws, and policies, in all activities
Essential skills requirement:
* Post-graduate qualification in Nutrition, public health, MNCAH, or a closely related field.
* At least 5 years of extensive experience implementing MNCH+Nutrition programming.
* Experience in SBCC, health promotion, or similar public health programmes in Nigeria.
* In-depth knowledge and understanding of current evidence-based internationally agreed global strategies and interventions for MNCH+Nutrition in the reduction of maternal, child and newborn mortality and how to operationalize these
* In-depth knowledge of the MNCH+Nutrition programming, including best practices in social and behaviour change for MNCH+Nutrition and awareness of practices that are no longer considered “evidence-based”
* Familiarity with existing national policies, guidelines and programs in the context of MNCH+Nutrition in Nigeria
* Proven experience in SBCC strategy and materials development, implementation, and monitoring & evaluation of SBCC interventions
* Experience in providing technical support to partners, particularly government at senior levels.
* Expertise in project leadership and management, including organizational development and staff management.
* Excellent reporting and analytical skills.
* Excellent communication, interpersonal and advocacy skills.
* Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
* Ability to work in a team.
* Willing and able to work in a challenging environment and have the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and to respond with flexibility and creativity.
* Experience of working in Northern Nigeria will be of added value.