WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes. WaterAid recognizes that changing the WASH situation in Nigeria is both a challenge and an opportunity with trickle effects on universal WASH access. To demonstrate the extraordinary efforts required to achieve this, WaterAid has given the Nigeria program a priority country status to amplify the level of the organization’s focus and commitment to Nigeria. WaterAid advocated for the declaration of a state of Emergency in the WASH sector by the Federal Government of Nigeria and actively supporting the government to deliver the National Action plan on WASH while influencing our focal states to replicate and develop their own action plans.
The State Project Officerwill work in implementing WaterAid’s GETF/RAIN Safe Water Project work against agreed plans and priorities of the project.
The post holder will build and maintain effective collaborations with internal and external stakeholders and partners (state government, LGA, Civil society, Media, the private sector and community structures) for the delivery of WaterAid GETF/RAIN projects and an improved WASH outcome in WaterAid’s Enugu state programme.
Key Deliverables include:
- Under the direct supervision of the State Programme Lead, be responsible for key project delivery and reporting to WaterAid and grant funders on project activities in the state; Ensure information on ongoing projects in the state are kept up to date on the Project centre platform;
- Support the SPL for effective implementation of WaterAid’s Water Services delivery, Sanitation marketing, Village Savings and Loan Association (VSLA) management and hygiene behaviour change activities implemented by WaterAid Nigeria and its partners in the state;
- Ensure all infrastructure constructions to be implemented in the state are in line with WaterAid technical designs specifications and national standards. Support state and LGA’s to replicate similar standards and models in publicly financed constructions;
- Identify and develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with key Water, Sanitation and Hygiene professionals in the state (e.g. government, donor community, service providers and utilities) and maintain them over time; Build and maintain effective network and collaboration with partners and key sector actors to achieve improved WASH access for the state.
To be successful in the State Project Officer role, you must meet the following requirements:
- University Degree/qualifications University Degree in Geology, Geo-Physics, Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, Public Health, or any other related qualification.
- Three to four (3-4) years’ work experience, of which at least two (2) would ideally be in community based projects funded by local or international organizations in the area of WASH, public health, environmental health or community health management performing a project/programme management role
- Strong competence in the use of IT tools. Proficiency in the use of Microsoft suite of computer Applications-Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Demonstrable understanding of development programme management approaches and WASH Issues in Nigeria.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to convey complex information clearly and persuasively
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Commitment to WaterAid values and a working style that reflects these
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
Click on the link below for the full description of the job.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, complete the application form by clicking on ‘Apply’ before the 8 July 2019.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.