Job Title: Digital Manager
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Special Requirements: Right to work in Indonesia
Reports to: Senior Producer, Indonesia
Contract: 12 months, with the possibility of extension
Start date: October 2019
Salary: Highly competitive within Indonesia NGO market rates
Closing date: 4th September 2019
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English by email to: [email protected] with the title of the position applied for in the subject line before 5pm on Wednesday 4th September 2019.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate cover letter will not be considered. These are local posts applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Indonesia and national terms and conditions will apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
BBC Media Action in Indonesia
BBC Media Action uses the power of media to support people to shape their own lives. As the BBC’s international development charity, we work with broadcasters, governments, non-governmental organisations and donors to provide information and stimulate positive change. BBC Media Action has been working across Asia since 2011 and has been responsible for programs in Cambodia, Bangladesh, Myanmar, India and Nepal. Now we are creating a new series on TV and online in Indonesia and this is the chance to help lead a production team that will launch the new Digital content later this year.
Overview of the role
You will be responsibility for the design, development, testing and management of all social media and other digital products across all of BBC Media Action’s work in Indonesia. As the Digital Team Manager, will employ a team of specialist staff and provide expertise and intelligence in the use of mobile, social media and web technologies to senior management across the organisation.
Main duties & responsibilities
- Develop and manage the social media strategy for the project, and other new projects as they arise, working closely with project heads.
- Deliver digital outputs across multiple projects, within budget and to deadline; and manage project plans, risks and issues.
- Take responsibility for the compliance of all digital output, ensuring that all products are in line with BBC Editorial Guidelines, contractual and copyright requirements, social inclusion strategies and other relevant policies.
- Lead a team of diverse professionals and work to develop their capacity and ability.
- Work with the research team and subject specialists to initiate rigorous audience research, ensuring that all products are user-tested at appropriate stages.
- Manage strategic relationships with external suppliers, including content producers, mobile phone companies, graphic design and development agencies, hosting services and NGO partners; and, alongside the administration team, manage contracts with these external organisations.
- Keep abreast of technical and editorial trends and developments in the mobile and on-line fields – externally and within the BBC. Use knowledge and expertise to assist the senior management team in developing and implementing digital strategies.
- Provide training to others on the use of content management systems, as appropriate.
- Manage the budget for the digital department, within delegated responsibility from heads of project; and provide support to heads of project and finance and administration teams to meet the reporting and compliance requirements of donors and other stakeholders.
- Lead the digital input into the development of new business across the organisation, providing ideas and expert advice; and drafting and reviewing sections of business plans, project proposals and funding applications.
- Maintain clear communication channels across the organisation, including with BBC Media Action’s digital team in London, and contribute effectively to being part of a multi-platform, multi-project organisation.
- Undertake any other relevant tasks or responsibilities as requested by your line manager.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
- Substantial experience in designing and managing mobile and online services
- Substantial experience of working in the mobile and/or online industry in Indonesia
- Substantial knowledge of the use of video, audio and stills photography especially with regards to its use in an online environment. The ability to carry out basic editing on Adobe Premier.
- Ability to provide editorial leadership, ensuring all outputs adhere to BBC editorial standards/guidelines and compliance requirements.
- Creative flair, with strong writing skills and the ability to structure a narrative.
- Ability to project-manage the design and development of mobile and online services, with a good knowledge of processes and techniques used for the management of ICT projects.
- Strong background in user-centred product design with experience of designing and implementing market research, user testing and impact assessments to inform the development and further refinement of mobile and online services
- Proven ability to design business cases and business models for new mobile services
- Well-developed negotiation skills
- Substantial experience in line management and team leadership
- Well-developed IT skills, including Microsoft Office.
- Numerate, with the ability to track budget allocations and provide accurate financial reports.
- Excellent written and spoken English & Indonesian language skills.
- Good organisational and time management skills, with the proven ability to prioritise, work independently and maintain attention to detail.
- Commitment to equal opportunities and health & safety.
- Willingness to work occasional weekends / evenings where required.
- Practical knowledge of the BBC’s values and willingness to apply them with a track record of working with these to design and develop media-development and/or media-for-development projects.
- Right to work in Indonesia
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of building and maintaining relationships with senior management in mobile and online industries and government.