Job Title: Senior Producer
Special Requirements: Right to work in Indonesia
Reports to: Head of Production, Indonesia
Contract: 12 months, with the possibility of extension
Start date: October 2019
Salary: Highly competitive within Indonesia NGO market rates
Closing date: 4th September2019
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English by email to: [email protected] with the title of the position applied for in the subject line before 5pm on Wednesday 4th September 2019.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate cover letter will not be considered. These are local posts applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tanzania and national terms and conditions will apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
BBC Media Action in Indonesia
BBC Media Action uses the power of media to support people to shape their own lives. As the BBC’s international development charity, we work with broadcasters, governments, non-governmental organisations and donors to provide information and stimulate positive change. BBC Media Action has been working in Asia since 2011 and has been responsible for programs in Cambodia, Bangladesh, Myanmar, India and Nepal. Now we are creating a new series on TV and online in Indonesia and this is the chance to be part of a production team that will launch the new Digital content later this year.
Overview of the role
To work closely with an outside broadcaster/production house that will be making the programmes. To help devise, format and implement a new TV series, taking responsibility for every stage of the production process including research and pre-production, location or studio filming and post-production. To work with a TV production team to ensure that the series is delivered on time, to budget and in accordance with BBC Media Action’s high creative standards and editorial requirements.
The role is based in Jakarta but with travel to production locations across the country as necessary. In general, normal office hours will apply but the nature of the role means that a flexible approach to working time will be necessary.
Main duties & responsibilities
- To oversee scripting, casting, location arrangements, production schedules, post production and delivery of the TV output.
- To liase between an outside production team and BBC Media Action
- To oversee day to day production ensuring the team is working to BBC standards and agreed format
- To deliver training in technical and editorial skills to outside production team
- To ensure that the production operates within the BBC Editorial Guidelines and meets the needs of the audience.
- To work closely with the Head of Production to manage the series production budget and filming and edit schedules, including accountability for the use of assigned resources and expenditure and compliance with BBC Media Action financial processes.
- To lead pre-production, filming and post-production for allocated outputs, working closely at all times to the editorial brief of the Head of Production.
- To direct crews and self-shoot creatively and efficiently on location or in the studio.
- To prepare effectively for edits and undertake offline editing creatively and efficiently in the available time, with some support from specialist video editing staff.
- To write commentary script, direct commentary recordings and supervise post production.
- Work within the production team and alongside administration, finance and procurement staff to ensure all purchasing, hiring and contracting is completed in line with BBC Media Action policies and procedures.
- To generate ideas, run brainstorms, write proposals, produce taster tapes and pitch ideas for future series in the department.
- To communicate effectively with contributors, the production team and the series producer, production manager and/or executive producer to ensure that all are kept fully informed of developments and requirements at every stage of production.
- To take responsibility for the health and safety of crew and contributors on location and in the studio.
- Undertake any other relevant tasks or responsibilities as requested by your line manager.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
- A proven record as a programme maker with a highly developed visual sense
- Creative flair, with strong writing skills and the ability to structure a narrative.
- Experience making high quality reality and factual programmes, and an in-depth knowledge of established production techniques (the ability to self-shoot and self-edit is highly desirable)
- Good spoken and written Indonesian and language skills.
- Organised, with the ability to prioritise, manage workload and deadlines and maintain attention to detail.
- Well-developed IT skills, including Microsoft Office.
- An understanding of the Indonesian media industry and audiences
- Good spoken and written English language skills
- Commitment to equal opportunities and health & safety
- Willingness to work the occasional evening and weekend
- Practical knowledge of the BBC’s values and willingness to apply them with a track record of working with these to design and develop media-development and/or media-for-development projects.
- Right to work in Indonesia
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of recruiting, leading, managing and motivating production teams