Programmer Development Coordinator
Duty Station : Abuja, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six month with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 24 September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic
Republic (the); Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States
of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Nigeria, and in coordination with relevant units at the Headquarters (HQs) and the Regional Office (RO), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for contributing to the design and development, and the implementation, oversight and coordination of programmes and projects as well as management of the Programme Support Unit. He/she will also facilitate liaising and fund raising with various donors and programme reporting for IOM in Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and contribute to the design and development of new programmes, projects and activities based on solid results framework and in response to emerging trends and priorities, as well as donor interests and requirements, in close coordination with the CoM, Regional Office, Programme Managers, Government counterparts and other relevant public/private sector partner organizations.
- Identify and coordinate potential and realistic funding opportunities by reviewing and analyzing calls for proposals, development assistance policies, trends and donor priorities.
- Prepare, coordinate and ensure the submission of funding proposals considering national and donor priorities, United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework (UNDSF); other UN strategic initiatives, and IOM’s country, regional and global strategic priorities and objectives.
- Support and ensure the monitoring of progress against strategic objectives, project and program benchmarks and UNDSF results. Substantively contribute to the establishment of a common Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework that incorporates regular reporting requirements and impact evaluation strategies, in coordination with M&E staff and project managers.
- Liaise between IOM programme managers to ensure that they are observant of IOM and Donors’ financial requirements.
- Coordinate and ensure quality assurance support for migration policy related projects in the mission.
- Provide administrative, financial and management backstopping for project development and donor liaison, and ensure the preparation of statistical analyses, regular narrative reports, communications, and presentations.
- Identify areas of programme implementation which require the CoM’s intervention.
- Act as IOM Nigeria’s focal point for programme support activities and respond to inquiries from Headquarters (HQs), RO, donors, partners, and any other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in Results Areas Working Groups to present project development and performance matters and to discuss other issues.
- Ensure compliance with donor regulations and obligations and that objectives are met within the agreed timeframe and budget.
- Oversee contractual negotiations with donors and ensure the Mission’s compliance with the Organization’s related rules and policies.
- Represent IOM in seminars, workshops, events and other meetings aimed at developing new projects and programmes, fundraising and promoting IOM’s image and activities.
- Substantively contribute to the production of visibility/communications materials in close coordination with the Public Information Officer.
- Manage/coordinate the Programme Support Unit (PSU), including supervision of PSU staff, staff capacity building, and participate in the resolution of performance issues.
- Undertake duty travel relating to advice and guidance to project counterparts and implementing partners, new programme development, and problem resolution.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Relations, Social Science or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Previous experience working in an international organization and knowledge of the United
Nations (UN) is essential;
• Previous experience with and knowledge of US and European Union (EU) funding mechanisms is essential; knowledge of other countries’ funding mechanisms is an asset;
• Experience in project development and project management, humanitarian and migration-related activities, report writing and liaison with relevant stakeholders required;
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Excellent report writing skills;
• Effective resource management skills and strategic and creative thinking.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 24 September 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 11.09.2019 to 24.09.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts. thanks