Nutrition Assistant at IMC Nigeria
Closing date October 14, 2019 BACKGROUND
Company Background:International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.International Medical Corps is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position ofNutrition Assistant to be based in DamboaPosition: Nigerian nationals onlyProgram BackgroundIMC has been implementing its curative and preventive nutrition intervention in 15 OTPs of Damboa, Jere, Konduga and MMC LGAs. The curative component targets children, 6-59 months with SAM. Community health volunteers screen and refer children with a MUAC <11.5cm or WHZ < -3 or those with grade + or ++ or edema to OTP sites for treatment. SAM cases are treated at the OTP using RUTF, deworming and Vitamin supplementation. Children with severe acute malnutrition and medical complications or those <6 months are referred to stabilization centers. In addition, caregivers of children 6-59 months are trained on how to measure MUAC. If a caregiver identifies a child with SAM these are re-assessed by the CHV and if confirmed, the child is referred to the OTP. These children receive nutrition support through RUTF based on their weight, treated for infections using routine medication and screened and treated for malaria. The severely acutely malnourished who are 24-59 months are de-wormed. All severely acutely malnourished without edema receive routine vitamin A supplementation and zinc supplements for those that present with diarrhea, whilst those presenting with malnutrition and medical complications are to stabilization centers for specialized treatment.JOB SUMMARYThe incumbent will be responsible for the overall implementation of CMAM and IYCF in collaboration with other nutrition and SMOH staff and integration with other programs/He will facilitate good practice and ensure compliance to applicable implementation of national CMAM guidelines.MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Backstop the OTP nurse when necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- Supervise a team of Community Health Promoters to ensure that they undertake their duties in accordance with IMC policies and standards.
- Collaboratively work with the Nutrition Coordinator and other members of the Nutrition team to ensure that consistently high quality services are delivered to beneficiaries in a timely fashion.
- Ensure the observance of respect the dignity of beneficiaries, care givers and members of the community at all times during their engagement with IMC.
- Coordinates with project partners, project staff, the SMoH, LGA and other stakeholders regarding upcoming activities and needs at the community and State/LGA levels.
- Identify training needs of the Community Health Promoters and liaise with the Nutrition Coordinator to administer such trainings.
- Review Flipchart Lesson Plans with CH Promoters every two weeks and ensure they understand the information well and can teach back the information in a participatory manner.
- Collect Community Health Promoter reports on a monthly basis, review the reports and ensure the information presented is accurate and complete.
- Prepare a timely monthly report using the information provided by Community Health Promoters and maintain a database of same.
- Collect report from CHPs on Family MUAC, review the report and identify refresher training need for Lead Mothers/ Mothers.
- Ensure that the families of malnourished children receive appropriate counselling, education concerning the Infant and Young Child Feed (IYCF) and caring practices through Care Group.
- Plan weekly/monthly activities in collaboration with the Nutrition Officer liaising closely with the Logistics and Finance teams to ensure timely delivery of needed materials
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and AbuseActively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.Any other duties that may be assigned from time by supervisorsCompliance& Ethics:Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in nutrition or any other related field from a recognized institution.
- Knowledge of CMAM and IYCF
- Over two (2) years’ experience in CMAM and IYCF programmes
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption letter
- Excellent report-writing skills is an additive
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of IMC’s aims, values and principles.
Key Competencies:· Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.· Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.· Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email and utilization of the internet· Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver IMC’s strategic objectives.· Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations.
How to Apply
Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.All applications should be addressed to the Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps via the email: [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity organization So Damboa Based candidates are encouraged to apply for this position
Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.Deadline for submission is 14th October, 2019