MSF is one of the largest independent medical humanitarian organizations in the world, with projects located in 65 countries worldwide. MSF’s work is based on the humanitarian principles of medical ethics; the goal of MSF is to provide emergency care to people who are affected by armed conflicts, epidemics and natural or man-made disasters.
MSF is looking for:
MEDICAL COORDINATOR (M/F) NIGERIA – Borno state
The North Eastern part of Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. More than two million individuals have been displaced as a consequence of the intensified attacks by the insurgents, as well as the counter-insurgency activities of the Nigerian Government, with the highest number of displacements taking place in Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa States.
According to IOM DTM Round XV (March 2017) estimates, a total of 1.69 million people are still internally displaced across the three northeastern states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, of which, 84% are in Borno alone.
MSF has been working in Maiduguri in Borno state since August 2014 and Borno mission is now a mission with 3 projects:
· Maiduguri Project: 3 medical facilities (ATFC, ITFC, OPD Ped, IPD Ped, BEMONC) with 430 national staff (including office and expat guesthouse premises).
· Monguno Project (2.5hr drive North-East of Maiduguri): pediatrics hospital and general OPD in two separate locations of the town.
· BEST (Borno Emergency Support Team): Based in Maiduguri, the team is dedicated to Emergency responses in and outside Maiduguri (Bama and Dikwa for example) with activities such as massive vaccination campaigns, mobile clinics, SMC campaigns and watsan activities. While at the same using the support from coordination to advocate presence and action from other actors on the ground.
Maiduguri situation has improved; overall the situation has stabilized over the past months in Maiduguri and most health and nutrition indicators are now below the emergency thresholds. Nevertheless, the needs are still there. Regarding the current situation in Maiduguri, MSF is considering reducing its presence in those facilities.
FUNCTIONAL AND HIERARCHICAL LINKS
The Medical Coordinator (MedCo) and the Head of Mission (HoM) work very closely to ensure the effective management of MSF mission in the country, defining and implementing the medical strategy.
The Medco supervises and communicates with the different medical field referents and project coordinators regarding medical activities.
S/He works closely with other members of the coordination: pharmacy coordinator (CoPharma), logistics coordinator and financial and HR coordinator(s).
S/He reports to the Head of Mission and Desk’s Medical Doctor. Technical support is provided by the medical referents from Medical department in HQ (Desk Medical doctor remains informed).
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Define and apply Borno mission medical-operational strategies in accordance with MSF resources and mission objectives.
MISSION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Support Medical Team Leaders from each field in defining medical operational strategies, managing their medical team, and reaching technical support.
· Support HoM in defining the mission strategy and adequate emergency responses if required.
· Represent MSF-France in intersectional meetings, with other humanitarian actors and sector meetings (health, nutrition, cholera, malaria…).
· Supervise the medical team
· Support and participate in defining the advocacy strategy of the mission.
· Along with HR department, define HR needs (expatriates and national staff) for the mission and develop Job Specifications when required.
· Along with Finance department, makes sure the international orders are tracked.
Open to Medical doctors and Nurses/midwives.
Essential: Successful experience as Medical coordinator (With MSF or another INGO)
Experience in emergency response to displacement of population in security challenged area is an asset
English spoken and written : very good level
Computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
Collaboration and communication skills
Flexibility, ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
Timeline : ASAP
Minimum Length of stay : 4 months
Salary status according to the MSF salary grid and your previous experience in international NGOs if any.
How to apply:
Kindly send your application (resume and motivation letter) from the 13th of july
until the 6th of august 2017 online : http://msf.fr/recrutement/travailler-sur-terrain/offres
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted