Nigeria is Africa’s most populous country and the unemployment rate stands at approximately 20%, with youth unemployment at almost double this rate at 35%. Cross River State, in south-eastern Nigeria, has a rich ecosystem that is under increasing pressure as growing populations derive their livelihoods from its natural resources. Youth constitute 1.11 million of its 3.45 million residents, of which 40-50% are unemployed under-employed.
The Youth Leadership, Entrepreneurship, and Development Project (YouLead) project promotes job creation for 7,000 young women and men (ages 18-35) by supporting Green growth in the small business sector, and skills training, tools and access to finance for young workers and young adult entrepreneurs. It will increase the equitable participation of young people in entrepreneurship and economic activities in targeted natural resources, such as agriculture, aquaculture, forestry and ecotourism in Cross River State in an Environmentally Responsible, Gender Responsive manner. This will be achieved through entrepreneurship training and technical capacity building, enhancing access to finance and creating an enabling environment through effective policy implementation in the target sectors.
The Environmental Management Officer (EMO) is responsible for mainstreaming and institutionalizing environment in the YouLead project and support stakeholders to enhance the environmental performance of their businesses by implementing activities outlined in the Environmental Management Plan.
The EMO will also be developing concept papers, discussion papers and policy guidelines on EN environment. The EMO shall participate in various YouLead activities to promote environmental awareness, build capacities, exchange and internalize environment related best practices.
The position will be based in Calabar, Cross River State with frequent travels across the LGAs.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITES:
· Support and lead strategies that promote effective best management practices in micro and small enterprise in natural resources value chains such as Fisheries, Agriculture, Forestry, Ecotourism and renewable energy
· Periodically prepare discussion or occasional papers on environmental themes and issues that are of pressing nature, including key environmental impacts and drivers most businesses are likely to face in the short, medium and long run
· Support the implementation of the Environmental Management Plan including capacity development activities with technical training partner and youth business owners
· Lead and facilitate trainings for project partners, staff and SMEs on general environmental sustainability and environmental responsibility
· Develop environmental training materials (script, digital, audiovisual, etc.) as necessary
· Assist partner organizations and SMEs to develop and implement environmental action plans (EAPs) to mitigate current and future environmental impact of their green businesses
· Support research of best management practices and target value chains as needed
· Support reporting and documenting environmental performance within the project’s monitoring and evaluation framework
· Highlight impacts of policies and regulatory measures of governments on the environment, particularly as related to natural resource management
· Carry out any other duties as required, from time to time
Research, Knowledge Building and Management
· Support for the development of public information on opportunities in the NRM sector in Cross River State, prioritizing land mark activities and developments for awareness-raising through YouLead communication channels
· Support the management of information, including drafting articles, content management, edition, design of periodic production and dissemination of publications particularly the print and virtual newsletters
· Conversion of publications into key advocacy messages for campaigns using factsheets, reports, briefings and press release, targeting diverse audiences
· Compiling annual reports on communication best practices and lessons learned directly linked to YouLead goals of environmental sustainability
· Significant practical, analytical and theoretical knowledge and experience of international development work in Nigeria including:
· an appreciation of the contribution volunteering in its many forms can bring to an effective Natural Resources Management
· a strong awareness of gender and equity issues and knowledge of issues affecting young women and men (key target groups for YouLead) in the targeted natural resources sector
· an appreciation of the contribution that the private sector and business development approaches can bring to effective Natural resources management
· Knowledge and or experience of International volunteering
· Proven ongoing commitment to staying abreast of current development in the natural resources sector
Communication, representation and networking
· Excellent communication skills – the ability to articulate project views efficiently and positively in various formats, including speech, panel, debate and group discussion
· Demonstrated ability to communicate good environmental practices and learning in working with both young women and men
· Ability to present and represent Cuso International in a variety of communication media to a variety of audiences including government, private sector, donors and civil society
· Strong networking skills and the ability to build relationships, alliances and networks in a fast paced ever changing work dynamic.
· Proven ability to work effectively in a number of teams, in a multi-cultural context and where teams may be geographically dispersed.
· Proven ability to be self-serving in IT (Outlook, Email, databases, basic excel, Powerpoint) and willingness to develop IT skills in order to improve effectiveness at work.
Personal skills & Attributes
· Considerable problem solving and decision-making skills
· Good time management, flexibility and ability to work under pressure
· Deep personal commitment for human dignity, equality, and justice
· High personal motivation and passion for personal development
· Strong conviction for shifts that push back of discriminatory cultural norms and practices
· Demonstrable zeal for innovation and creativity that stands out and excels
· Multitasking, organized and results oriented with ability to deliver in set time frames
· Demonstrated ability for crisis management and performance under pressure
· High values of dialogue, transparency and accountability
· Team player, with a spirit of sacrifice, and a value of responsibility for one and all
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in social or environmental sciences, environmental management, or agriculture extension or demonstrated equivalent through experience.
· At least 3-5 years progressive working experience in Natural Resources Management with proven record in overseeing Environmental management interventions or other relevant experience.
· Commitment to Cuso International’s approach to international development.
· Excellent verbal and written English.
· Proven ability to manage complex and demanding workload to set own priorities and to work with minimal supervision
· Committed team player who can work across teams and professional skill sets and build effective working relationships
· Good IT skills
· Previous work with International development organizations funded by international development partners is an advantage;
· Knowledge of Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
ABOUT CUSO INTERNATIONAL
We look for outstanding individuals globally who share our vision for a better world where all people are able to realize their potential, develop their skills and participate fully in society.
In return we offer a most rewarding experience to use your professional skills to teamwork for a great cause, while enjoying competitive compensation and benefits, as well as travel and growth opportunities. Visit us at https://cusointernational.org/about/careers/
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like the kind of organization that you would like to work for, and you have the qualifications for this job, we certainly would like to hear from you!
Expressions of interest should be sent by November 7, 2017 to email@example.com quoting “EMO-2017-1016 *Environmental Management Officer”** in the subject line. Your résumé and one-page-cover letter should demonstrate how you meet all the essential and any asset qualifications. Thank you for your interest in Cuso International.