The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Communication Manager to ensure that the research progress achieved by the CGIAR Research Program – Livestock CRP and its partners is reported to the public and is visible, both to share information and to strengthen support for the CRP and its agenda.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Develop and implement a communications strategy for the program
- Coordinate and support partner researchers and communications staff in generating communication products that highlight program-related progress and achievements, and giving them additional visibility through program communications. This includes ensuring consistent and complementary communications approaches and products across the program’s partners and associated projects
- Lead program-level external communications and awareness, media relations, etc., producing program communication and synthetic knowledge products as needed, including those that support program engagement and participation in a range of selected events. This includes acting as a communications point of contact for the program’s funders, ensuring that program and project outputs reach vital investor audiences
- Assist the Program Director and other members of the management team to strengthen internal program communication and deliver effective workflows, systems and other support necessary for the program to achieve its goals. This will include convening and supporting program-level learning and science events.
- Ensure that program outputs are correctly recorded, reported, and meet agreed branding, attribution, open access and other requirements
- Support other program-level activities and engagements as needed.
- Participate in a Community of Practice of all Communication Specialists in ILRI
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline e.g. communications, agriculture, development, journalism, development communications, innovation systems, ICT or development
- 7 years’ experience in research or development communications or related areas
- Demonstrated ability to write with excellent command of English
- Strong outcome focus on ways that knowledge and communications contribute to the Program’s goals to get research into use
- Good knowledge and practical experience of different approaches and ways to promote research achievements and results to various audiences including end-users and investors
- Be self-motivated, able to work independently in a small team and across different locations
- Strong record of innovation, creativity and problem solving
- Excellent interpersonal and team interaction skills and capacities, ideally in multicultural environments
- High digital literacy: standard office applications, virtual sharing and collaboration platforms, social media and publishing.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Position level: The position level is 4C.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 10 February 2018. The position title and reference number REF: CM/11/2017 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.