For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use, emergencies and crisis.
MdM strategy to support Syrian population is based on a regional approach around 3 main axes:
Provide support to refugee populations: Primary, sexual and reproductive and post-operative health care for Syrian refugees in neighboring countries through MdM clinics and supporting local organizations in Lebanon and Jordan.
Provide support to existing health facilities inside Syria: Emergency medical assistance to Syrian population inside Syria through networks of Syrian doctors or existing health facilities.
Provide support to displaced populations in Iraq and Syria: Primary and sexual and reproductive health services for internal displaced populations through MdM clinics and mobile clinics in camps and urban settings.
To support MdM response and the country missions in implementing and monitoring the activities, a regional representation office based in Amman has been set up in 2013. In June 2016, the decision has been taken to promote this office into a coordination office, in order to reinforce the support provided to the country mission as well as decentralize some support services in order to increase the quality of the services provided. As the regional medical referent you will be part of this team, you will work under the responsibility of the regional coordinator and in a functional link with the responsible of the head of quality service in HQ.
Your main responsibilities are:
– Participate to the development and implementation of the medical priorities of MdM strategic action plan and ensure that it is consistent with programmatic needs and standards of the MdM areas of focus
– Develop and strengthen health program surveillance and regularly give feedback on the contextual health situation
– Be responsible for capitalization and standardization of medical programs.
– Support the monitoring of programs including the MdM medical data collection system and facilitate exchange of good practices among the medical coordinators
– Provide technical support to the medical coordinators in terms of public health protocols, epidemiological follow-up, data collection and analysis tools, medical curricula, procedures/guidelines elaboration, contribution to the studies and surveys, etc.
– In addition support local partners’ medical team on technical and organizational matters
– Support medical coordinators and partners in the selection and validation of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies
– Participate in the recruitment of the medical coordinators in the region for the technical validation of the job descriptions and of the candidates
– Participate in the briefing and debriefing of the relevant staff in the different missions and the Regional Office
Representation and coordination
– Participate to the Regional Office meetings
– Ensure MdM participation in regional medical/public health meetings with key stakeholders and INGOs
– Support country missions by representing MdM toward donors and UN agencies when required by the Regional Coordinator
Position to be filled ASAP.
Based in Amman with frequent trips in the region (Lebanon and Iraq)