ABOUT THE MISSION IN NIGERIA …
The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. Seven programs are currently running:
- Multi-sectorial project over 3 years in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba and Hawul in consortium with ALIMA and funded by EuropeAid
- Logistic Platform project funded by WFP in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response funded by OFDA in Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
- Emergency WASH in Health funded by ECHO – in consortium with ALIMA in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH funded by ECHO in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
- WASH response for vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Dikwa funded by CDC
- Emergency WASH response for new onset manmade disaster in Ngala funded by NHF
This mission has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the needs in the area and to ensure a humanitarian impact. The teams are well staffed with very diverse profiles. The atmosphere is good, people get along well and they love to play volleyball on Sundays.
Here are the key numbers and information about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- The number of expatriates is around 20
- The national staff are approximately 200
- The total budget of the mission is around 7,5 million euros
ABOUT THE JOB
- The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Country Director in the area of operations
- He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated
- He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
- He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone
- He/she is the Country Director’s direct contact and representative.
Coordination and strategic orientation
- Within his/her intervention zone, monitor and analyse the humanitarian, political, cultural, social and economic context.
- Within his/her intervention zone, propose and develop an operational strategy in line with the association’s policies and the population’s needs.
- Within his/her intervention zone, propose new operational directions according to how the context develops
Relevance and operational quality / operation monitoring
- Ensure the coordination, development, monitoring and evaluation of the programmes implemented within his/her intervention zone.
- Ensure that the programmes in his/her intervention are relevant and consistent.
- Ensure that the programmes in his/her intervention zone are implemented in accordance with the annual operational strategy, Solidarités International’s technical requirements and financial donor’ criteria.
- Propose the human, financial and logistical scale for his/her intervention zone and its organisation
- Ensure that financial resources and other means necessary for accomplishing projects in his/her intervention zone are mobilized.
- Guarantee the appropriate use of resources in his/her intervention zone
Human resource management
- Build and maintain a team dynamic which enables the objectives of Solidarités International to be carried out in his/her intervention zone
- Promote the ethics and values of Solidarités International
- Monitor the implementation of Solidarités International’s human resources policy and procedures (recruitment, EAP, etc.)
- Monitor the personal and professional stability of Solidarités International employees and ensure that an adequate living and working environment is maintained
- Manage associates placed under his/her direct supervision
- Responsibility for the security of teams and property in his/her assigned zone, under the CD’s supervision
- Monitor and analyse the security situation and ensure it is understood by teams
- Ensure that all new arrivals in his/her intervention zone are given a geopolitical and security briefing
- Ensure that all documents and procedures relating to security are updated regularly
- Ensure that all security rules and procedures are respected in his/her intervention zone
- Ensure that a permanent security monitoring system is set up
- Ensure the immediate management of any security incidents occurring in his/her intervention zone and immediately notify the CD
Financial backer relations / search for funding
- Monitor and analyse financial donor strategies in his/her intervention zone
- Participate, at the request of the CD, in the search for funding and ensure the financial stability of the organisation and the programmes implemented in his/her intervention zone
- Strengthen relations between SI and donor representatives in his/her intervention zone
Internal and external communication
- Ensure that documents produced in his/her intervention zone meet deadlines and quality standards
- Ensure that all internal reporting respects the standard formats and procedures
- Organise regular coordination meetings
- Ensure that key operational information circulates properly, in his/her intervention zone and between the bases and the country coordination
- Be the official representative of Solidarités International in his/her intervention zone for aid workers, administrative, political and local authorities, civil society and the media
- Be an active participant in humanitarian forums and relevant coordination meetings
The main challenges:
- Contextual security analysis and security management
- Implementation of programs before end of donor contracts
- Enhanced coordination in clusters
- Cholera emergency response preparedness (necessary and appropriate stakes)
- Management of Logistical aspects over summer (rain season)
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in related sectors
- Previous experiences as a field coordinator in remote and unsecure areas
- Ability to develop a strong understanding of the context
- Experience in tensed context in terms of security
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required
- Good knowledge and experience on evaluation and monitoring tools and good analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Organizational and analytical skills
- Anticipation and self-organization capacities
- Great work and stress management capacities
- Patience and diplomacy skills
- Ability to set up and orientate coordination mechanism in an operational way
- Ability to prior tasks and manage a large scope of work
SI WILL OFFER YOU
- A salary starting from 2600€ gross per month + valorization of your experiences
- A monthly Per Diem of 600 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked > i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The living conditions in Dikwa base has improved a lot over the past two years. There are 2 bedrooms with bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen well equipped. The security rules are however restrictive as the context is tense.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link:
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Desired start date: 01/07/2019**
Duration of the mission: 9 months