The Africa Rice Centre (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified ‘Agricultural Economist –Marketing and Consumer Preference’ to be based at AfricaRice’s 700 ha experimental station at M’bé, near Bouaké, Côte d’Ivoire.
AfricaRice is a leading pan–African rice research organization committed to improving the
livelihoods in Africa though strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is one of the
15 international agricultural research centers that are members of the CGIAR System
Organization (CSO). It is also an intergovernmental association of African member countries.
Its membership comprises 26 countries, covering West, Central, East and North African
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Director of Research for Development; the
Agricultural Economist – Marketing and Consumer preference will conduct strategic and
applied research that contribute to the development of efficient and profitable rice value chain
in AfricaRice through the improvement of rice post-harvest handling and marketing
processes, the increase in the quality of local rice and rice – based products. He or she will
perform the following tasks that include but are not limited:
1. Contribute to better understanding of global and regional rice market dynamics
and analyze alternative strategies and policy options for the integration of
national and regional rice market.
2. Conduct research on the profitability and efficiency of the value chain of local
rice through analysis of marketing margins and cost.
3. Conduct research on rice consumers preferences and product profiles.
4. Lead the rice marketing and consumer preference research activities as a result of
the improvement of rice post-harvest handling, processing and the development
of new rice-based products.
5. Contribute to capacity building activities for national agricultural research
system staff and students in African Universities through training, mentoring
and thesis supervision.
6. Develop and maintain active policy with national and regional counterparts.
7. Publish research results in peer-reviewed journal and other relevant outlets.
8. Develop concept notes and proposal and contribute to resource mobilization
9. Undertake any other duties as required by the needs of the center.
Qualifications /Selection Criteria
Education: PhD in Agricultural Economics, Economic, Management or related field
Work Experience: At least three years of post-doctoral experience, preferably related to rice
research. Work experience in Africa is highly desirable.
Knowledge and Key Competencies:
– Strong skills in institutional economics analysis,
– Strong skills in market research and data analysis,
– Ability to work in a multicultural team.
– Ability to motivate and manage staff.
– Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
The candidate should communicate fluently (oral or in writing) in English or French with a
good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
o This is an internationally recruited position.
o AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and
gender-sensitive working environment.
o The initial appointment is for two years with renewal of contract possibility.
Expressions of interest (a full CV + supporting statement) including the names and addresses
(telephone / fax / email) of three referees should be submitted.
To apply for this position, please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the
following mention in subject: “Recruitment process – Agricultural Economist ”.
Applications will be considered until Thursday, June 14, 2018.
AfricaRice is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that staff diversity promotes
excellence in our operations and particularly welcome qualified applications from women,
people living with disabilities and developing countries.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about us, please visit our website at