Main purpose of job:
The Estates Administrative Officer will provide overall administrative support to the Estates team. The officer will in addition be the Health & Safety Officer for post ensure documentation is kept to ensure compliancy scores are maintained. The officer will share job assignments to the Furnishings Supervisor and support the Deputy Estates Manager on arrival and depart from post checks with UK Based officers.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Carry out monthly store checks for all stores at the BHC ensuring correct procedures have been followed and all paperwork corresponds.
- Carry out inspections of properties after the furnishings team has completed the cleaning and furnishing of properties in readiness for new occupants.
- Be responsible for ad-hoc payments for estates to local suppliers around Nairobi.
- Keeping stores tidy and ensuring old, obsolete or damaged furniture items are sent to auction. This Includes organising deliveries to the auction house and ensuring all the necessary paperwork is completed accurately for future audits.
- Arranging for monthly meter readings with the utility companies
- Liaise with Estates manager on purchasing of new curtains/white goods/furniture for upcoming property refurbishments.
- Secretary to the BHC Health and Safety Committee
- Conduct initial Health & Safety checks of all properties prior to new occupants moving in and subsequent routine checks
- Conduct health & safety checks at the main office
- Supervising and spot checking external contractors ensuring they are fully compliant with health and safety best practice while on BHC premises.
- Collation and filing of all Health and Safety documentation ensuring they are readily available for any audit on compliance with standards
- Lead on Health and Safety messaging in the BHC raising awareness on H&S in the mission
- Brief all new staff arrivals (UKB and LE) on health and safety best practices
- Management of the Health & Safety budget
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
1 member of staff
- Experience of Health & safety work, inventory/store management or administration
- Strong decision making skills and willingness to take initiative in own work
- Proficient in computers
- Fluent in English
- Estate management
- Accounting/Budget management
Members of staff are entitled to paid annual leave, which is earned, from the day they commence employment. Entitlements are as follows:
- Grade A2 – 25 days and then 30 days after 5 years’ service
In addition to annual leave, the BHC normally observes no fewer than 9 and no more than 14 Kenyan and British public and religious holidays in a year. These vary from year to year and are at the discretion of the High Commissioner. A list of holidays is published each year.
Subject to the Flexible Working Scheme (see below) normal office hours are:
• Monday to Thursday: 0715 – 1600
• Friday: 0745 – 1300.
Flexible working requests will be looked upon favourably where possible.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nairobi are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Kenya.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.