The Project and Technical Services Lead will define remediation project objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle. The individual shall prioritize, plan and execute remediation of all impacted sites in Ogoniland in accordance with the HSSE & SP Control framework, SPDC Standard for the Management, Investigation & Remediation of Soil & Groundwater Contamination and Local Applicable Laws/Regulations. He/She will develop, execute, and finalize remediation projects according to strict deadlines and within budget, including estimating and acquiring the right resources, coordinating team of site supervisors, third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. He/She shall prepare and submit budget proposals and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary liaising with other leads within the project team in the implementation of his/her role. In addition, he/she shall mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors.
Country of Work Location
City, State (if applicable)
Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and a leader in the oil and gas industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programmes.
- Minimum qualification of Master’s degree in Geosciences, Environmental Sciences and Biochemical Sciences. A PhD degree in these disciplines will be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated skill of planning and execution of contaminated sites remediation projects.
- Proficient in the use of REMSCAN and can interprete chromatographic analysis of contaminated samples.
- Has skills to develop specific HSE case for different remediation scenarios.
- Demonstrable experience in Shorelines Clean-up Assessment Technique (SCAT)
- Familiar with biochemical laboratory analysis of contaminated oil and water samples including finger-printing and associated quality control measures.
- Conversant with waste treatment and hydrocarbon waste fixation.
- Familiar with managing contract procurement process.
- Skillful in sampling borehole design and execution.
- Must have working knowledge of coring and core description and interpretation.
- Knowledgeable about the lithology of the Niger Delta.
- Conversant with adaptive mangrove monitoring practices.
- Must have knowledge and application of RBCA toolkit for site specific risk assessment.
- Must be conversant with GIS and spatial data analyses.
- Demonstrate knowledge of tier 1 and tier 2, risk assessment of hydrocarbon contaminated sites.
- Effective organizational, project management, reporting, communication and presentation skills.
- Understands regional and local hydrogeology, and contaminant Fate & Transport (F&T) principles.
- Can identify data gaps and how to manage them by gaps analysis including risk assessment of severity/potential ramifications.
- Able to develop risk-based remediation targets and strategy for a simple site based on thorough understanding of CSM, the RBCA process, and sustainable remediation principles.
- Can independently review, evaluate and recommend appropriate Remedial Action Plan for various impacted scenarios
- Can identify key performance indicators and recommend system optimization for commonly applied remediation technologies and for commonly used above ground treatment technologies.
- Has undertaken internal and external stakeholder management for simple SGW projects.
- Has sound understanding of local regulatory requirements.
- Able to design and conduct remediation and restoration training
- Can interpret Laboratory data and provide astute recommendations for soil and ground water remediation
- Is able to critically analyse large scientific data sets and draw logical conclusions.
- Can identify SGW liabilities and critically review work proposed or performed to monetize the liability.
- Can cost up simple investigations and ex-situ (excavate and disposal) remediation works.
- Knows basics of creating and maintaining a Hazards and Effects register, the bowtie hazard analysis technique, and ALARP requirements.
- Familiar with the seven steps in a HEMP review, required handshakes, implementation and monitoring requirements.
- Experience with stakeholder management and ability to influence senior stakeholders.
No. of Positions
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.