DESK NIGERIA: ABUJA OFFICE – HR DESK MANAGER
THE ALIMA ASSOCIATION
ALIMA’S SPIRIT: ALIMA’s purpose is to save lives and provide care for the most vulnerable populations, without any discrimination based on identity, religion or politics, through actions based on proximity, innovation, and the alliance of organizations and individuals. We act with humanity and impartiality in accordance with universal medical ethics. To gain access to patients, we undertake to act in a neutral and independent manner.
Our CHARTER defines the VALUES and PRINCIPLES of our action:
- Putting the Patient First
- Revolutionizing humanitarian medicine
- Responsibility and freedom
- Improve the quality of our actions
- Placing trust
- Collective intelligence
CARING – INNOVATING – TOGETHER:
Since its creation in 2009, ALIMA has treated more than 3 million patients. Today ALIMA works in 10 countries in Western and Central Africa. In 2018 we plan to work in 41 projects including 10 research projects focusing on malnutrition, Ebola and Lassa fever. All of these projects will support national health authorities through more than 320 health facilities (including 28 hospitals and 294 health facilities). Alima intervenes in response to humanitarian crises and patients are at the heart of all our actions. We work in partnership whenever possible to ensure that our patients benefit from the best and most relevant expertise wherever it is, whether within their own country or in the rest of the world.
ALIMA’S TEAM: more than 1800 people are currently working for ALIMA. The field teams, closest to the patients, receive their support from coordination teams generally based in the countries’ capitals. These receive support from the 3 desk teams and the emergency and opening team based at the operational headquarters in Dakar, Senegal. The Paris and New York teams are actively working to raise funds and represent ALIMA. The rest of the ALIMA Galaxy includes individuals and partner teams working on behalf of other organizations such as medical NGOs BEFEN, ALERT Health, SOS Doctors / KEOOGO, AMCP, research organizations PACCI and INSERM, Bordeaux or Copenhagen Universities, the INGO Solidarités International and many others.
COUNTRIES WHERE WE WORK IN 2018:
Mali, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Cameroon, Guinea, South Sudan.
THE WORK WE DO COVERS:
Malnutrition, Maternal Health, Primary Health, Pediatrics, Malaria, Epidemics (Ebola, Cholera, Measles, Dengue, Lassa Fever), Hospitalization, Emergencies, Gender Based Violence, Opening / Closing.
THE POSITION SURROUNDINGS
POSITION LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria with regular visits to Dakar and regular field visits.
YOU WILL BE WORKING WITH:
● You will report hierarchically to the Desk Manager, also based in Abuja
● You will work together with the desk team in order to supply the best support to the field and to build the long term country strategy
● You will be in charge of the HR management of ALIMA’s Abuja base
● You will report functionally to ALIMA’s HR Director, and together with the HR HQ team define ALIMA’s HR strategy and priorities
● You will advise and support the HR coordinators in each field
MAIN MISSION AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The HR Desk Manager is leading and supporting the development and motivation of teams with the objective to contribute to the success and impact of our projects.
He / she ensures that all HR work is led in a collaborative manner and in a way that respects ALIMA’s Charters and empowers project teams.
Your main activities and responsibilities include:
Recruitment and placement
● You will work with the coordination and desk teams and advice on team composition, identifying international recruitment needs as well as secondment opportunities, following the development of talents and career paths.
● Together with HQ recruitment officers, pool technical advisors and HR Desk Managers, you will identify people to fill positions through internal placement or external recruitment.
● You will also work with the support of our existing tools and processes (pool meetings, tests, interviews, reference checks …) within the given timeframe and with the objective of optimum team composition.
● You will contribute to improving the quality of our external recruitments by focusing recruiting attitudes and people who share our principles and values lying in our Charter.
● You will ensure a great welcome and on boarding process for all newcomers to ALIMA or to Nigeria.
● You will share your knowledge of people with the HQ HR team and update our HR database on a regular basis.
● You will contribute to ALIMA’s broader need for English speaking humanitarian professionals by setting up and running a local Nigeria recruitment and capacity building strategy.
● As part of the Nigeria DESK team, you will contribute to the operations definition, monitoring and evaluation.
● You may participate as needed in exploration missions to open new projects or set up emergency responses.
● You will act as a key person for the support of managers at all level, including the development of management trainings as appropriate.
● You will support and offer advice to the field HR teams so that their work supports our operations and help teams put the patient first.
● Together with desk finance manager and desk and project teams, you will ensure that budgets and funding proposals accurately reflect HR operational needs.
● You will ensure that people and finding solutions in a collaborative manner are key to successful operations.
Projects HR and administration support
This part will be defined as you go and depend on what the Borno Coordination, the Jahun and the Lassa teams want to delegate to you.
In fact, number of tasks if centralised in Abuja will make life easier for the project teams if they decide to delegate these to you and your team in Abuja, such as:
- Planning and organisation of people’s transit movements: visas, work permits, booking flights, organising car movements with logistics, etc…
- Legal and fiscal surveillance with our lawyer based in Abuja
- Sourcing trainings available nationally, to support project teams work on training plans (etc. according to what project teams need from you and your Abuja team)
There is a trick in this area, and the trick is to ensure that you do not centralise for the sake of centralisation. Indeed ALIMA’s objective is to support the autonomy of the field teams, so that we get better at saving lives and providing care for the most vulnerable populations.
You will guide the work of field HR teams:
- by supporting project leaders in defining project HR objectives
- by providing technical support on all human resources management issues: recruitment practices, staff monitoring (assessment, training, disciplinary procedures…), talent identification, skills development, mobility, evolution, team composition, function grid and salaries …
You will ensure that ALIMA’s HR policies, CHARTER, Code of Conduct and other ALIMA framework policies are known, understood, implemented and embedded with the local legal framework.
You will also provides expertise and support on the use of HR tools, mainly Homère.
HR global projects
You are a member of the HQ HR team, and as such, you will:
- integrate the Desk HR Managers group who meet once a week in order to support each other
- Integrate HR working groups on different global projects, such as competency framework, recruitment strategy, learning platform, global policies update etc…
- work with the whole HR team on the lessons learnt every year and strategy for the following year
- contribute to the annual HQ budget planning according to the needs of the Nigeria Desk team
You will take the time to master the philosophy of “organisational freedom” in order to provide an effective and regular support to the project and coordination teams as to their autonomy.
You will take the time to understand our approach to research, and our current projects to bring specific expertise to these projects and therefore the right teams.
● You are in charge of the HR management of the Abuja office team
● You will need to set up a team to whom you can delegate the administrative responsibilities, including payroll and with whom you will work on HQ specific objectives like employer branding and recruitment for the wider ALIMA
This newly created position is part of a new team, which needs to find its own way of working ensuring that the principles and values lying within our Charter are at the heart of how they work with others as much as with and for the patients.
This job description is not exhaustive.
WHO ALIMA IS LOOKING FOR
You are …
Quick to learn
Good at listening
Creative and open minded
Interested in medical humanitarian operations and research
You enjoy supporting others, giving advice and act as a service provider rather than being the boss who decides
You are capable of making decisions when it is necessary, whether it is easy or not
You know how to help people around you see the big picture and take it into account when they make decisions
You love diversity in your work and are very flexible and agile
You don’t avoid conflict, and even more you know how to deal with conflict whether you like it or not
You think a job well done means planning, anticipation, organisation and communication
You have …
worked in the humanitarian field for a few years, meaning in the field
moved boxes and helped your colleagues do boring but necessary tasks when they needed help
and still are learning every day: you are reading on a regular basis and you like to read about all kinds of field, including HR
learnt to analyse information, situations and facts and used your critical mind more than once to find solutions
You speak fluent French and English, meaning you can also write well in both languages.
Contract: Open Ended Contract, 3 months probationary period renewable once – maximum 6 months of probationary period.
Starting Date: July 2019
Salary: this is an HQ position and as such is paid according to HQ compensation and benefits policies which are different from expatriate positions since the position and contract are long term
Total cash package: equivalent to 2 749 Euros net, after tax
- travel costs between the employee’s country of residence and Abuja, Nigeria, unless recruited locally;
- Five weeks annual leave per year as well as a recovery system for days spent on work travels; + one additional month paid leave after 3 years at HQ
- One round trip per year between Abuja and the employee’s country of origin for the employee and her / his dependents + one individual round trip ;
- One-off relocation allowance at the beginning of the contract in Abuja, according to HR policy;
- School annual enrolment fees for children from 2 to 18, according to the ALIMA HQ policy;
- Medical cover insurance including repatriation insurance for the employee and her/ his dependents, as per the definition of our insurer.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY: To apply, please send your CV and your answers to the following questions (which stands for a classical cover letter) on our job page with the reference “DESK NIGERIA : HR Desk Manager ” in the subject line: https://candidatures.alima.ong/jobs/detail/6?utm_source=webrelief&utm_medium=Website&utm_campaign=Campagne+d%27offres+
❏ If we tell you that you need “a tamed ego and a big heart in order to find solutions together”, what does it mean to you? Please tell us about one personal or professional experience that sustains this idea.
❏ How are you going to ensure that you build the right support for the Nigeria project/regional teams without doing their jobs?
❏ When would you be available to start?