Resources Management Officer (Humanitarian Hub) at IOM Nigeria
Position Title : Resources Management Officer (Humanitarian Hub)
Duty Station : Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 04 June 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this VN, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Lesotho; Libya; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Resources Management Officer (SRMO) in Abuja and the Head of Sub Office (HSO) in Maiduguri, direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer (RMO) in Maiduguri and in close coordination with the Program Officer – Red Roof, Maiduguri, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for coordinating the financial and/or budgetary functions of the Humanitarian Hubs in North East Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in monitoring financial and other resources in the Humanitarian Hub specifically in relation to cost recovery; undertake preliminary financial analysis and the oversight of financial expenditure in the Hubs.
- Assist in the recruitment and other administrative activities in relation to Humanitarian Hub.
- Assist in forecasting the cash flow according to planned activities of the Humanitarian Hub; ensure daily control of the funds disbursed; verify that funding is received on timely manner through cost recovery.
- Assist in the preparation of payroll for the Humanitarian hub and ensure salaries are allocated correctly and in line with the IOM projectization criteria.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets for programs in the Humanitarian Hub and the sub-office.
- Coordinate preparation of financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Assist with the review of assets in the Humanitarian Hubs; provide information and guidance on the appropriate application of internal controls and processes, control cash and prevent fraud.
- Provide support to the staff in the Hub to ensure compliance with IOM’s policies and procedure; make recommendations on the procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of finance and administration.
- Assist with the regular review of SAP postings and provide recommendations on the adjustment/corrections if necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience in finance, accounting, budgeting and business administration;
• Knowledge of IPSAS and PRISM;
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, supervise staff and coordinate administrative activities; High level of computer literacy, experience in MS Excel and computerized accounting systems and software;
• Knowledge of IOM accounting systems, software and procedures;
• Previous working experience in emergency missions;
• Previous experience in hub cost recovery will be an added advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 04 June 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 22.05.2019 to 04.06.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Posting: Posting NC55981924 (55981924) Released