Environmental Compliance Officer
ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE OFFICER
Internal Job Grade – D
Contract type – 1 Year fixed term
Reporting to – Project Manager
Staff reporting directly to this post –None
Key relationships/interactions – Project Monitoring Unit (PMU)
Location – Bauchi
To promote agriculture-driven economic growth and improve the living conditions for 10,000 rural farmer households (60% women) with a specific focus on women and youth.
To ensure that implementation of all LINE project activities are in compliance with the minimum standards and guidelines/requirements of the Bauchi State Government, Federal laws and Global Affairs Canada (GAC) environmental requirements. The LINE Project is targeted to improve the livelihoods of 10,000 poor women and men farmers in Bauchi State.
· Perform the duties of Environmental Compliance Officer for LINE Project and ensure the implementation of the Project’s Environmental Management Plan (EMP) as agreed by Oxfam and the donor.
· Ensure the tasks as indicated in the EMP are carried out systematically and proactively.
· Perform monitoring and reporting requirements as per the EMP.
· Arrange training for staff and partners for the activities assigned to the Environmental Compliance Officer.
· Ensure monitoring data is provided to the LINE Project’s M&E Officer on a timely basis and electronically, and working with that person to plan monitoring activities.
· Prepare an annual report on the implementation of the EMP.
· Revise the EMP as necessary and present the proposed adjustments to the Project Management team in advance of the preparation of the Project’s annual work plan and in advance of the Project’s PSC meetings, as arranged with the Project Manager
· Coordinate with all LINE team members where there are shared or overlapping roles.
· Prepare technical proposals as required to ensure the LINE Project meets all the standards required in Nigeria and under Canadian law related to plans, permits and procedures for air quality, hazardous waste, spill prevention, storm water and waste water, and ensure quality standard on Project deliverables.
· Be familiar with Nigeria’s environmental protection agency and local environment regulations and have an understanding of the environmental permit applications process.
· Compile, track and analyze information related to LINE Project that is needed for LINE’s semi-annual and annual reports and for the LINE Project’s mid-term and final evaluations.
· Perform onsite inspections to ensure compliance with the EMP and, as necessary, work with Bauchi State agencies, primarily BSADP.
· Represents the interest of Oxfam at workshops, seminars, committees and with outside organizations.
· Schedule and prioritize workload, set work schedule deadlines, and determine appropriate implementation procedures.
· Performs all other related duties as assigned by the Project Manager.
· Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values (click here) as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights (click here).
· Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Management or any relevant equivalent degree.
- Master’s in Environmental Studies will be an added advantage.
- Five(5) years working experience in managing development projects with an environmental component. – preferably within the NGO sector.
- Demonstrable skills in environmental planning, design and management including experience involving community participation for environmental protection and sustainable living.
- Must possess at least 2 years field experience in community development particularly with farmer groups in northern Nigeria.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in working with word processing, Excel, Power Point, databases and electronic communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tenacity, strong initiative and proven capacity to get the job done.
- Ability to work independently and under minimum supervision.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa.
· Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
· Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
· Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
· Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
· Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
· Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Key Behavioral Competencies
· Decisiveness: We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
· Influencing: We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities, we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
· Humility: We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
· Relationship Building: We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.
· Listening: We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear and consider different preferences.
· Mutual Accountability: We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
· Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity: We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
· Systems Thinking: We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.
· Strategic Thinking and Judgment: We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
· Vision Setting: We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
· Self-Awareness: We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.**Enabling:** We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support.
How to Apply
Click on the link to apply:
Qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply