Nigeria Country Director
- Location: Based in Abuja with frequent travel to Calabar and Lagos
- Responsible to: Chief Operations Officer
- Responsible for: Programmes Staff; Finance and Administration staff; Support and Office staff (approximately 20 staff and others as recruited) all based in Nigeria
- Contract type: Permanent
- Salary: £32,970- £38,200
- Benefits: Accommodation allowance, insurance, local allowance, annual medical examination, annual flight home, dependent’s and school fees allowances.
Aim of post:
The Country Director will provide strategic leadership and management in developing the United Purpose programme in Nigeria. They will have responsibility for ensuring that all aspects of the programme are managed effectively, to ensure that United Purpose continues to play a valuable and influential role in the fight against poverty & the strengthening of civil society. The following duties & responsibilities will in part be delegated or managed by other staff – however, overall responsibility for ensuring performance at all levels will rest with the Country Director.
- To develop the programme based on the existing country strategy and Organisational Strategy and to carry out structured strategic reviews to respond to changing circumstances.
- To proactively seek new opportunities for funding of projects through in-country and external relationship building with donors and the submission of programme initiatives.
- To represent United Purpose to government, Embassies/ Delegations, the UN and other international agencies, donors and partners and other bodies including the media and the public.
- To provide solid leadership and direct line management support to core staff.
- To ensure that effective and secure budgetary control of the programme’s finances and expenditures are established and maintained, in line with United Purpose’s financial procedures & guidelines.
- To maintain an overview of the political and security context, noting how developments may affect programme work.
- To comply with United Purpose’s safeguarding policies and practice and all other related policies and procedures.
Person specification includes:
- Relevant Master’s level qualification or similar academic achievement.
- Minimum of five years overseas experience, mainly in senior management roles, with some in a project management capacity.
- Evidence-based advocacy for policy change and campaigning.
- Specific WASH experience.
- Security management experience.
- Experience of grant design, management and reporting to major donors.
- Commitment to the capacity building of local institutions based on mutual respect and a partnership approach.
- Commitment to the values and mission of United Purpose.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please send your CV, and a short covering letter to:
[email protected] by 19thJanuary 2020 quoting ‘Country Director, Nigeria’ in the subject line.
In the cover letter, please ensure to explain the following:
- Why you are applying for the position
- How your skills and experience meet the person specification
All applications will be acknowledged but only successful applications will be contacted further.
United Purpose has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.