The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
- Application deadline – 13 April 2016
- Grade – C5 (L)
- Type of Position – Fixed Term
- Working hours per week – 35
- Duration of Post – 36 months
- Location (City) – Accra
- Number of vacancies – 1
- Starting monthly salary – GHS 9,270 to GHS 13,173
- Start Date – 23 May 2016
Main purpose of job
- This is an exciting and fast-paced job that offers the chance to manage the Corporate Services (CS) of a leading foreign mission in Ghana.
- The Head of Corporate Services is responsible for the British High Commission’s (BHC) overall CS strategy and delivery of this. They will lead a large section, and support all UK Government Departments represented in the British High Commission to deliver UK objectives as one team. Within this, they will have specific line-management for business-critical teams.
- The Head will oversee the provision of the full range of CS activity in line with best practice and standards, whilst ensuring value for money. They will also continue to innovate and implement change programmes to streamline CS – working closely with the Regional Hubs in London and Pretoria.
- The CS Section consists of teams responsible for office and residential estate; security; procurement; finance; human resources; transport; technical maintenance; IT and protocol.
- We will look to offer competitive salary that is part of a wider package of benefits that include medical insurance, comprehensive L&D opportunities and use of High Commission amenities (including pool and gym).
Main elements of the job
- Plan for future corporate service needs across the BHC, developing and implementing strategies, and adapting the CS section as necessary in order to deliver appropriate services;
- Take strategic budgetary and staffing decisions;
- Identify risks to delivery and make timely recommendations to address them;
- Contribute to the strategic vision of the BHC as part of the senior leadership team;
- Support wider Foreign and Commonwealth Office change programmes by contributing to strategic debates drawing on local experience.
Management and Leadership:
- With the support of a deputy, oversee the work of a CS Section of over 90 staff (half of whom are technical/maintenance trades people managed by a Technical Works Supervisor);
- Lead the CS Section, providing direction and advice while maintaining a high level of customer-satisfaction through regular engagement on change and standards;
- Overall management of a large and complex budget run on a day to day basis by a Finance Manager;
- Meet with key contacts (eg legal adviser, security contractor etc) to ensure high quality external services and address shortfalls;
- Represent the CS Section effectively in discussions with other sections of the BHC, including regular meetings with the High Commissioner and Deputy High Commissioner.
- Monitor quality of services, ensuring monthly KPI reporting and seeking and responding to customer feedback;
- Deal with problems escalated by the Deputy Head of CS;
- Member of the Leadership Committee chaired by the High Commissioner, plus the Housing and Security Committees.
- Ensure quality, value for money and compliance with FCO guidance, the UK Government’s rules and annual audit (ACCA) statements (eg health & safety, procurement, counter-fraud, accounting)
- Ensure safety and security of BHC and staff.
Direct line manager for 3 staff members, countersigning officer for 6 others. Budget £6m approx.
Learning and Development Opportunities
- There will be on-the-job training initially on the High Commission’s operating systems, support from the current Head of Corporate Services and a one week CSM course in the UK.
- The High Commission offers excellent online training, available to all staff, which is both job-specific and offers wider development opportunity. We offer a good L&D environment and encourage staff to develop their skills and expertise. Job shadowing etc is actively encouraged
Required Skills or Experience
- Qualified (graduate level) professional, ideally at least three years’ direct experience managing corporate services;
- Ability to be security cleared to work in a sensitive environment;
- Experience of financial and budget forecasting and management;
- Excellent team player, displaying strong leadership skills and ability to delegate;
- Sound judgement and prioritising in a fast-paced work environment, delivering to deadlines;
- Strong self-organisation, confident, ability to be flexible and resilient, sense of humour;
- Show exemplary levels of integrity and observe the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s diversity and equality policies;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the welfare needs of expatriate workers in Accra;
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft software and an understanding of Oracle based systems;
Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
How To Apply
Interested applicants should apply by clicking on the link: Head of Corporate Services
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Ghana with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Accra are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Ghanaian employment law.
- Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the BHC/BCG but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
- If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Note: Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
- Ability to be security cleared to work in a sensitive environment