Literacy Bridge Ghana is a community development organization that works with organizations to make knowledge and skills available to the most underserved people in the poorest communities in such a way that leads to understanding and behavior change. Our solution is based on our unique technology, the “Talking Book”, the world’s most affordable audio computer designed specifically for people who cannot read and who often live without reliable electricity and have less access to information in their own local language. Through partnerships with organizations like UNICEF and CARE, Literacy Bridge Ghana uses the Talking Book to reach people in Ghana’s most remote communities with critical information to improve health, incomes, and quality of life. Over the past 5 years we have reached 175,000 people. For more information visit www.literacybridge.org.
Scope of Work
The Content Officer is directly responsible for:
- training relevant Program staff on content creation and recording;
- supporting content creation and uploading;
- overseeing translation of messages and reviewing user feedback;
- supporting monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities for program quality improvement; and
- supporting proposal development and program launch efforts through formative research, and content planning and budgeting; and
- managing Literacy Bridge Ghana content-related fixed assets.
The Content Officer will work collaboratively with the Programs Team – specifically Senior Content Officer, Program Officers, Program Managers, and Field Coordinators.
Content creation and recording training
- In collaboration with Senior Content Officer and Program Managers, develop a content creation and recording training outline and manual. Conduct content creation and recording training sessions for Program Officers and other Program staff.
- Support Program Officers with recording sessions as needed and requested by the Program Director, and offer feedback as needed for improving recordings.
- As directed by Program Director, conduct content creation and/or content recording training to Literacy Bridge Ghana partners.
- Content creation and uploading In collaboration with Program Officers, Program Managers and Senior Content Officer, review content calendars and donor/partner objectives to incorporate relevant changes to content as needed.
- Assist Program Officers with developing content outlines according to program content calendar and specify the content details for each content update.
- Conduct relevant formative research and gather background sectoral data to inform content outlines and program quality improvement.
- Research, explore and recommend content formats for messages.
- Train local drama groups and other content facilitators on script and content development.
- Conduct content recording sessions to record content with experts, drama groups, and other content facilitators as requested.
- Assist Program Officers with preparation of budget requests for recording sessions and applicable stipends.
- Upload and appropriately categorize and title content in ACM, and populate properties window.
Translation and User feedback
- Supervise transcriptions of content and user feedback messages for each content deployment/update; ensure they are translated into English in an appropriate timeframe. Review, categorize, transcribe, and translate user feedback messages and prepare user feedback reports and ensure user questions are addressed. Be a point of contact for translation requests from HQ.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Assist Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation team in creating relevant indicators for specific content topics and subtopics.
- Assist Monitoring, Learning, and Evaluation team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation activities as requested.
- Utilize relevant feedback and information from monitoring and evaluation activities to develop and/or improve content.
- Proposal Development and Program Launch Support Programs and Monitoring,
- Learning and Evaluation teams with proposal development and programs launch by advising on content planning, development, and budgeting based on available pre-recorded messages in the ACM.
- Support system language creation by conducting background research to determine languages/dialects needed for proposed programs.
Management of Literacy Bridge Ghana Content-related Fixed Assets
- Support the Senior Content Officer in ensuring all Literacy Bridge Ghana&content-related fixed assets (microphones, recording equipment, cameras, laptops, and other equipment) are well maintained, accounted for, and used in accordance to Literacy Bridge Ghana policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned Location Travel
- This position will be based in Wa, Upper West Region with travel within northern Ghana. Content Officer must be available for regular Skype calls with US-based team.
Required Skills or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, development studies, behavior change communications, development communications, and/or other related field required.
- Minimum of 4 years’ relevant work experience required.
- Previous experience in social and behavior change communications projects desired.
- Familiarity working or living in rural communities.
- Language (reading, writing, and speaking): English fluency and good writing ability required; knowledge of relevant local languages desirable.
- Good communication skills: able to manage a high volume of emails/communications, respond in a timely manner to emails and phone calls, and follow up on necessary items;
- Organizational skills: ability to set priorities, manage time effectively, and adapt to new challenges and quickly changing circumstances; must be able to meet deadlines or communicate challenges/changes prior to deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure, both independently and as an effective team member in a multi-cultural environment with respect.
- Computer literacy, including experience with word processing and spreadsheets (MS Word, Excel) and the internet required;
- Accuracy and attention to detail: be able to compose detailed and thorough activity reports, tracking activities from inception to completion.
How To Apply
Send a Cover Letter, CV/Resume, and a 1 page Writing Sample to by April 15th, 2016. Applications submitted without a Cover Letter, CV/Resume, and Writing Sample will not be considered. Make sure to add “Content Officer Application” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates with Ghana work authorization will be considered. No phone calls please.