We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI/Ethiopia is an innovative network member of PSI with a team of more than 140 people passionate about marketing and dedicated to serving Sara! Since 2003, we have marketed products and led programs to prevent HIV, improve reproductive health, and improve child health. We market condoms and increase condom use among people most at risk of HIV. We increase access to clean water by selling Wuha Agar, a water disinfectant. At PSI/Ethiopia we do more than simply provide products and services, we seek to create true change – by making markets work for the poor – to increase the use of critical health products and services that are available, affordable, and desirable to the most vulnerable Ethiopian people.
We are looking for a charismatic leader, a marketing talent, a strategist, an innovator, an effective communicator and a persuasive sales person. ALL in one individual! You will learn all there is to know about specific health markets dynamics, combine those dynamics with real consumer insights to develop business proposals and design marketing and communication strategy that “fix” the markets and make them work for our clients.
You are a natural-born entrepreneur with a passion for marketing and for getting stuff done. You have experience working in the private sector, a proven track record in developing and growing businesses that create value for their customers
- Lead a team of brilliant and enthusiastic marketing, market research, external communication and new business development professionals across the full portfolio of PSI/Ethiopia’s program’s – including water treatment, HIV, Non-communicable diseases, Family Planning, & Sanitation
- Market research – connect to the market, and bring PSI’s customers’ insights to life. Using nimble, targeted strategies you will illuminate the needs and decision-making processes of our customers to deliver a narrative that helps design PSI’s programs to make the greatest health impact
- By combining rigorous market analysis with user centered design, identify opportunities for new products or programs and design the right partnerships – with a focus on social enterprise and private sector development activities
- Use knowledge and skills of commercial marketing approaches, and examples of successful and scalable marketing interventions, to identify new business opportunities and influence a range of in country partners including Ministry of Health, staff from implementing organizations and local policy and funding stakeholders.
- Lead the annual planning process across PSI/Ethiopia’s portfolio to make sure marketing thinking and rigor are injected in everything we do for our customer
- Develop marketing strategies from start to finish including – market landscape analysis, consumer insights gathering, and creative campaign design
- Design and oversee the portfolio growth strategy for PSI/Ethiopia commercially sold products and services
What are we looking for?
- Master Degree in relevant field
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience in marketing and private sector development or health communications
- At least three (3) years’ experience managing small teams to deliver excellence
- Proven track-record generating new business opportunities and securing funding for innovative products or projects
- Experience in small and medium enterprise development and/or consumer marketing or franchising approaches in developing countries
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. You can work well as part of a team and effectively develop and manage a network of collaborating partners
- Fluency in English, you have extensive experience living and working abroad
What would get us excited?
Emerging Market Experience. You have worked in emerging markets in Sub-Saharan Africa and understand the challenges that come with it
Gender. You seek to transform gender roles and know that with gender equity markets can be developed better, stronger and more sustainably
Collaborative manager. You are able to inspire a shared vision for your colleagues. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
A connector. You have experience working with a variety of donors and designing new projects. You are able to spot market trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about needs and opportunities in Ethiopia
A Strategist and an innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.