Welthungerhilfe (www.welthungerhilfe.de) is one of the large and respected private organisations in the field of development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. It carries out projects in 39 countries and campaigns for fairer cooperation with developing countries. If you are prepared to dedicate yourself to carrying out projects under sometimes difficult conditions and you match the requirements set out below, we look forward to receiving your application for the position of
Head of Programmes “Humanitarian Response” Ethiopia/Somaliland (m/f)
in Addis Ababa
The position is to be filled as soon as possible with an initial contract of 12 months. There are good prospects for an extension. The place of work will be Addis Abeba. Duty trips in the project region are required.
Welthungerhilfe has been working in Ethiopia and Somaliland for many years, focused on ending hunger and empowering people against poverty. Recurrent droughts in 2015-16 and 2016-17 have led to scaling-up of assistance to meet the needs of the most vulnerable and has reached out to more than 100.000 people across Ethiopia and Somaliland with life-saving humanitarian assistance. Welthungerhilfe’s humanitarian programme is implemented by our partners and is currently mainly focused in the southern region of Borena in Ethiopia and Awdal and Gabiley in Somaliland. Contingent on funding, Welthungerhilfe may start operations in other locations where there are gaps in response by other humanitarian actors. In Ethiopia Welthungerhilfe implements their projects through national and international partner organisations.
The main objective of the position is to lead the design, implementation, management and coordination of effective and appropriate large-scale humanitarian intervention. Furthermore to increase the capacity of the partner organizations in the field of humanitarian response through the development of a humanitarian strategy and joint preparedness planning.
- Contribute to the capacity of the Country office to plan for and submit high quality proposals, ensure a consistent monitoring of progress and effects of our work
- Develop a Humanitarian Response Strategy for Ethiopia and Somaliland and assure regular updating and adjustments
- Lead the design and development of appropriate contingency plans, and related preparedness and mitigation strategies, including capacity building initiatives
- Develop need-based high quality proposals for emergency response.
- Oversee the implementation of emergency response projects ensuring compliance with internal and external quality standards through a consistent monitoring.
- Ensure reporting on project implementation and documentation
- Ensure the implementation of a complaints response mechanism.
- In close cooperation with the Country Director, liaise with humanitarian donors and actively seek humanitarian funding opportunities
- Assure Welthungerhilfe and partners are adequately represented in relevant humanitarian coordination bodies
- Alignment of Emergency Response activities with longer term projects/programs aiming at strengthening resilience and development in cooperation with the Head of Programs
- Support the Management in the development of a funding strategy for the Horn of Africa region
- Screening and Monitoring of national and international funding opportunities in line with the Country Office strategy
- Coordinate the process of regularly reviewing technical and organizational capacities of partner organizations and contributing to the process of selecting new implementation partners where gaps are identified
- Support the process of development of an improved MEAL framework in the country programmeYour profile
- an university or technical degree with equivalent work experience in International Development or any other related area
- at least 5 years professional project and management experience, preferably in an international NGO/operational UN agency
- Extensive experience in large scale humanitarian programming and humanitarian management in complex, insecure environments
- Knowledge and understanding of Emergency Food Security and Livelihoods and WASH programming in emergencies, humanitarian response, complex emergencies, conflict resolution and international humanitarian law
- Excellent communicator with strong written and reporting skills
- Ability to work cooperatively in a cross cultural setting with numerous international and national partner.
- Ability to work on capacity development of national partner organizations not directly focused on humanitarian aid
- Initiative and motivation to work independently and develop solutions to problems. Highly flexible in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to complex problems
- Proven ability to work with complex budgets mobilized from diverse range of donors, including monitoring and evaluation and reporting
- very good knowledge of both spoken and written English, a very good knowledge of German and the knowledge of a local language is an advantage