Nigeria is Africa’s most populous country and the unemployment rate stands at approximately 20%, with youth unemployment at almost double this rate at 35%. Cross River State, in south-eastern Nigeria, has a rich ecosystem that is under increasing pressure as growing populations derive their livelihoods from its natural resources. Youth constitute 1.11 million of its 3.45 million residents, of which 40-50% are unemployed under-employed.
The Youth Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Access and Development Project (YouLead) will promote job creation for 7000 young women and men (ages 18-35) by supporting growth in the small business sector, and providing skills training, tools and access to finance for young workers and young adult entrepreneurs. It will increase the equitable participation of young people in entrepreneurship and economic activities in targeted natural resources, such as agriculture, aquaculture, forestry and ecotourism in Cross River State.
As the Policy Advocacy Advisor, you will help institutionalize the Greener Jobs/ Greener Economy framework in the 18 Local Government Areas (LGA) of Cross River State.
Some specific objectives will be to:
- Lead the development of compelling and relevant policy tasks to influence Cross River in the natural resources sector
- Provide public policy advice and support teams within YouLead and partner organizations
- To engage in partnership development for effective policy development and implementation
- To conduct capacity building activities
- To analyse and advise on the impact of State policies and edicts on the Natural Resources Management sector at the LGA and community level.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Conduct organizational assessment
- Develop high quality policy and advocacy materials (letters, reports, policy briefs and others), targeting the Cross River State government or other stakeholders as necessary, with a view to achieving positive change in all areas
- Provide strategic input and advice to the organization on humanitarian policy issues, and contribute as appropriate to decision-making
- Design capacity building programs
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Development, Social Sciences, Human Rights etc.)
- Professional training in Organizational development/project management
Essential Professional Background:
- 3 – 5 years’ work experience in a development organization
- Work experience in policy advocacy development or a related field
- Certification in relevant field of Public policy will be an added advantage
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation