Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with
governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly
migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Working under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (Emergency Response) of IOM Nigeria and
the direct supervision of the Project Manager (MHPSS), the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist the project officer in the overall planning, coordination, and implementation of the project activities.
2. Collect and analyse information mainly from records and reports and prepares periodic and ad-hoc reports on
programme and project activities.
3. Liaise with relevant governmental, non-governmental (NGOs), international organizations as well as other
relevant stakeholders including Ministry of Social Affairs, Ministry of Health and Academic institutions and
4. Coordinate and exchange information with national institutional, professional and academic counterparts.
5. Provide technical guidance and monitoring on the activities of the staff; follow up on consultants and local NGOs
supported by the program actibities. Support training manual development and contextualization.
6. Monitor project activities by reviewing a variety of records, including control of plans, progress reports, project
inputs, budgets and financial expenditures, identify issues and propose adjustments as necessary.
7. Contribute to the preparation of reports, project documents and submission to the donor by providing
information, preparing tables and drafting sections. Prepare background information for use in discussion with the
donor and other key stakeholders.
8. Coordinate with protection and GBV sub-working groups and MHPSS working group and support coordination
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For
the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
9. Organize missions, forums, meetings, workshops, trainings and other events within the framework of the project
in coordination with the Project Officer, International Expert network, and other key partners.
10. Scrutinize plans of operations, exchange of letters and take appropriate follow-up action.
11. Prepare informal translation of technical documents from English into Kibaku and vice-versa, if needed.
12. Organize data and information, prepare and maintain records, document and control plans for the monitoring and
evaluation of the project implementation.
13. Coordinate Visibility and Communication activities related to the project.
14. Participate in the development of new projects based on identified needs during project implementation.
15. Provide guidance and training to other staff.
16. Undertake duty travel to very challenging areas when necessary.
17. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in any of the clinical psychology or psychological counseling or social science, related area with
relevant psychosocial knowledge will be an added advantage
• Minimum six Years (four Years for Degree Holders) relevant professional experience;
• Previous experience in psychosocial support in emergency setting and protection is highly desirable;
• Experience within international development agencies or NGO sector is a highly desirable;
• Experience working or liaising with government or civil authorities is desirable.
Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in all languages advantageous;
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
• Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
• Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
• Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
• Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Displays mastery of subject matter;
• Contributes to a collegial team environment;
• Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
• Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM
• Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
• Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
• Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance
country office or regional objectives.
Emergency and Crisis
• Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments;
• Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures;
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any
residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Interested Internal candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to [email protected] indicating
position applied on subject line by Friday 24
th August 2018
For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page
specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for
Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2018/79 Maiduguri. Senior Project Assistant (Protection) G6.
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates
will be contacted.
Duty Station : Maiduguri