RC Nigeria is looking for a second Area Manager. Join our team!
Since 2009, violent attacks on civilians by the armed group Boko Haram have left widespread devastation in northeast Nigeria. At least 17,000 people have been killed and approximately two million people are displaced within Nigeria. More than 14 million people in northeast Nigeria today are affected by the crisis caused by Boko Haram. Out of these, seven million people are in need of humanitarian assistance. Around 92 per cent of displaced people reside in either informal settlements or with low-income host communities, creating a strain on already limited resources. The remaining 8 per cent live in more formalised camps. NRC has been in Nigeria since 2015.
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
The Area Manager reports to the Country Director.
- Line management for senior project staff and support functions (and Field Office Coordinators) in the area
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide area specific input on CC strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies
- Represent NRC and networking on area level
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in Nigeria or West Africa (Lake Chad crisis)
- Experience with start-up
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimize results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: April 2019
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard
- Grade 10 in NRC grade structure
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with 25% travel to the field and sub offices
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location