MASS LITERACY TRAINING CONSULTANCY (For companies registered in Nigeria only)
JOB from Danish Refugee Council
Closing date: 21 Feb 2019
TERMS OF REFERENCE
TRAINING ON MASS LITERACY IN BORNO STATE.
DRC/ DDG NIGERIA:
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) an independent, non-profit organization founded on humanitarian principles to ensure protection for refugees, returnees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) and the Danish Demining Group (DDG), a specialized unit of DRC that implements projects on Mine Actions (MRE) and Armed Violence Reduction (AVR).
AVR implements its peacebuilding and conflict transformation programmes through well adapted and applied thematic, context-sensitive and rights-based approaches. The programme tactically maps and engages people with spheres of influence in their communities, who in turn, actively promote inclusive and acceptable social, cultural and religious re-orientation processes to gradually transform the nature and responses to armed and violent conflicts, especially among youths who are likely to be vulnerable to criminality and radicalisation.
AVR programming cuts across four thematic areas: Youth Engagement, Security Sector Reform, Conflict Management Education and Community Safety Plan. Since 2017, DRC/DDG has been working on the Project titled “Promoting Stability in Nigeria’s Northeast.
COMMUNITY SAFETY PLAN (CSP)
The community safety plan is one of the safety/security – related thematic implemented by the Armed Violence Reduction (AVR) Programme team of the DRC-DDG.
The AVR Programme team partner with several communities and strategically identify people (Duty and right bearers) whose sphere of influence can affect positive transformation to strengthen communal peace and stability. Thus AVR Programming ensures that the CSP-Planning is a community-owned process where duty and right bearers work together to identify behavioral and non-behavioral agents that threatens their peace, security and stability. Also identifying viable solutions alongside the resources required to implement the identified solutions.
In view of the above, one of the action point identified to create viable solutions in these communities is to eradicate illiteracy and the community members becoming literate. Mass literacy is therefore a key component in the CSP Implementation across these various communities listed below in Borno State;
The Responsibilities of the Consultant includes but not limited to the following;
§ Making literate all those who for one reason or the other did not or cannot benefit from the formal school system. These include out-of-school youths, children in the street, women in purdah, victims of teenage motherhood (VVF), Nomadic illiterate people, Almajiris and other migrant fishing folks. The beneficiaries should be able to use the literacy skill acquired in their daily socio-economic activities.
§ Designing and formulating strategies and programmes for the implementation of MASS LITERACY in line with the SDGs goals.
§ Developing and disseminating learning materials aimed at promoting literacy level among the target groups.
§ Mobilizing and conducting advocacy to encourage participation in the scheme.
§ Prescribing the strategies and method to be adopted to ensure desired results.
Management and reporting
DDG Nigeria will establish a Consultancy Steering Committee to oversee, support, and provide ongoing feedback to the consultancy team.
It is proposed that the Consultancy Steering Committee be made up of the following:
DDG Nigeria Head of Programme;
AVR Nigeria Programme Manager
AVR Nigeria Deputy Manager
DDG Nigeria will support the consultancy through the following:
Compilation of background documentation and relevant data
Weekly meetings with the Consultancy Manager and/or Consultancy Steering Committee;
Rapid review and commenting on outputs and deliverables.
Providing the Consultant with the Communities Monograme.
Required skills and qualifications
· Advanced university degree or equivalent in Education/Development Studies, Social Sciences, or other fields related to mass literacy.
· At least 10 years of relevant experience and proven expertise in the humanitarian sector with significant experience in monitoring, data analysis, research and/or evaluation.
· Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills.
· Knowledge of the current literature/practice on displacement-related emergency response. Familiarity with DRC and/or Nigeria emergency response.
· Ability to work independently and achieve quality results with limited supervision.
· Strong analytical and synthesis skills.
· Demonstrated experience conducting assessments, data collection and analysis in volatile, hostile or insecure environments.
· Excellent command in written and spoken English.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application and further information
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send a request for the complete TOR and its annexes to [email protected] (do not submit your offer to this address mail)
Submission of the proposal via mail to [email protected] with the following documents no later than 21st February 2019. The consultancy period will span from 1stMarch to 30th March 2019.
1. A one-page application letter addressing:
The Consultant/Consultancy Team’s previous experience and relevance to the proposed assignment.
The names, expertise, years of experience and relevance of team members in undertaking this assignment.
2. A comprehensive proposal demonstrating firm understanding of the Terms of Reference, with a breakdown into assessment areas showing how each assessment sector is going to be undertaken.
3. Updated CVs for all consultants including relevant work, number of days required, specific roles, experience and qualifications.
4. Detailed and comprehensive budget covering all assessment costs, including consultancy fees and other fees (filled in the DRC request for Quotation template)
5. Contact details for three references.
6. Proof of formal registration in line with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), and other Nigeria Government Regulations.
Closing date for applications:
Closing date on 21st February 2019.
Email for submission: [email protected]
If you have questions or are facing problems with the application process, please send a mail to : [email protected] (do not submit your offer to this address mail)
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Years Of Experience: