As we swap out old for new, pages will be in transition. Thanks for your patience – please keep coming back to see the implementation
Job Number: 522512 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Africa: Nigeria
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
How can you make a difference?
Under the general guidance of the C4D Chief, the incumbent is responsible for the coordination of communication working group to accelerate demand generation approaches and strategies at National Emergency Routine Immunization Coordinating Centre (NERICC) spearheaded by the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) to promote awareness, understanding, support and social mobilization plans that support advocacy and community engagement as well as community empowerment and behaviour change as key components of the country programmes in Nigeria in line with the rolling work plan with the Federal Ministry of Health and NPHCDA.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks
The holder incumbent will be expected to provide technical support to NERICC activities related to social mobilization, demand generation and related functions.
1. Strategic Direction & Coordination
Support NERICC to determine strategic directions for communication for development (advocacy, social mobilization, community engagement and behaviour change technical working groups) team and ensure the strategies are in line with Nigeria Country Programme Document (CPD) as well as the Rolling Work Plan (RWP) to achieve Routine Immunization coverage targeted in NSIPS.
- Make viable recommendations and decisions on appropriate communication for development strategies to achieve the NERICC’s goals and objectives, and to support UNICEF’s mission in the country.
- Coordinate different fora mainly GAVI sub groups for demand generation, BMGF MOU states community engagement working groups, polio communication groups.
- To provide expert advice and assistance to the NERICC team by attending several task teams including core group on attitude and behaviour change modalities that contribute to changing mindsets and are culturally sensitive and tailored to generate demand for routine immunization (RI) services.
2. Demand Generation
Ensure that NERICC task groups are supported to develop plans and activities to increase demand for RI services
- Develop, maintain and update the C4D strategy for NERICC with approaches, plans and activities geared towards increasing demand for RI and other primary health care (PHC) services.
- The strategy should be founded on sound evidence based on studies with clear objectives, approaches, plans, activities, as well as monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
- Ensure approaches used is all inclusive, consultative and participatory to carry along all stakeholders.
3. Promotion of Appropriate use of Communication for Social Development
Provide advice on appropriate use of communication and approach for social development, aimed at both individual behaviour change and collective action as well as policy advice.
- Provide expert advice, coordination and technical support to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development to ensure optimum leverage and impact of communication activities on programme, policy and advocacy activities.
- Collaborate with the Federal Government officials, NPHCDA, community leaders, other UN bodies, and bilateral agencies and NGOs in the organization of activities, operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas supportive of NERICC’s communication goals and strategies.
- Jointly with other UNICEF and government officers, designs and manages/facilitates the implementation of communication plans of action aiming at: (a) behaviour development/change at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; (c) increased community participation in RI and PHC; and (d) policy issues that require advocacy to impact RI and PHC uptake.
- Support state teams to design and implement strategies for hard to reach, nomadic and minority groups at the LGA and ward levels, informed by the equity analysis and aligned with coverage and equity plans.
- Monitors and evaluates activities on the basis of applied targeted communication research and frequent visits to project sites. Disseminates communication research findings, ensures exchanges of experience and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners.
4. Capacity Building for Sustainability
- Provide advice on capacity building of communication for development teams, both within NPHCDA and among counterparts.
- Oversee and advise on the development of goals, strategy, approaches, plans as well as training materials and activities to build up capacity in participatory and behaviour change communication for personnel involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of communication for development intervention, in support of RI and PHC.
5. Resource Mobilization and Management
- Participate in the budget planning & review process, and ensure the optimal resources from UNICEF and other partners towards C4D initiatives to support NERICC
- Establish programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitors progress and compliance.
- Take appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds and mobilize resources; improve programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Oversee the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly and effectively coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: Advanced University degree in the social/behavioural sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, and Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, and participatory communication, and research, training/facilitation and impact evaluation of communication interventions.
Training in communication for development and implementation in communication for development, social mobilization and behavioral change. Training in inter-disciplinary approach in programme communication.
Experience: Minimum 5 years relevant professional work experience in the planning and management of social development programmes, including 2 years in with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and another UN language. Local working language of the duty station an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Closing Date Thu Jun 06 2019 23:55:00 GMT+010