Project Officer (WASH/Community Engagement)
Position Title : Project Officer (WASH/Community Engagement)
Duty Station : Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 05 September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic
Republic (the); Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States
of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and Head of Sub office/Emergency Coordinator and the direct supervision of the WASH Program Manager, the successful candidate will provide technical support for the planning, coordination and implementation of WASH Program in hygiene promotion and community engagement in North East Nigeria IOM Emergency WASH Response, Nigeria. In particular, the officer will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical inputs in terms of community engagement to all ongoing WASH activities implemented by IOM, namely WASH activities implemented by IOM at different IDP camps or camp like settings, such as construction/rehabilitation of boreholes, construction and maintenance of latrines and showers, hygiene promotion and cholera response, solid waste management and construction of drainage lines
- Contribute to the development of and implement hygiene promotion and community engagement tools and materials for overall WASH program activities.
- Contribute to implementation of IOM Nigeria WASH program strategy to respond to rising emergency, transition and recovery WASH needs in terms of community engagement, participation and feedback mechanism.
- Liaise with WASH Sector Hygiene promotion Technical Working Group (TWG), protection sector TWG, local government authorities and partner agencies in relation to the implementation of IOM activities.
- Provide technical support, coordinate and implement overall IOM cholera preparedness and response activities.
- Travel to the field project locations to monitor implementation of WASH projects including construction, rehabilitation and upgrading facilities, hygiene promotion and check that the work is carried out according to the specifications and strategy of and provided by IOM.
- Monitor adherence to the approved work, budget and procurement plans.
- Facilitate effective integration and mainstreaming of gender into all activities.
- Work closely with the WASH Project Assistants, technical supervisors and hygiene promoters in order to identify and recommend specific learning needs.
- Provide close guidance and assistance in order to contribute to the development of WASH staff technical capacity.
- Provide WASH inputs for weekly reporting and check that all relevant aspects are captured.
- Check that all reporting material is of high standard.
13.Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master ’s degree in Public Health or Environmental science, Social Science, or a related Field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in WASH programming in complex emergencies both in camp settings and host community situation is essential;
• Experience in project administration
• Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general migration related issues;
• Knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures
• Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 05 September 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2019/236 (P) Project Officer (WASH) (56111459) Released
Posting: Posting NC56111460 (56111460) Released