DDG Advisor-Humanitarian Mine action
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Humanitarian Mine Action Advisor to support the capacity building of Police EOD Officers by delivering EOD training in North-East Nigeria.
About the job
DRC/DDG’s overall objective in Nigeria is to promote stability and resilience among those affected by displacement in northeastern Nigeria, in particular in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states. To achieve this, DRC/DDG is focusing its programming on three main priorities:
· Addressing the needs of youth at risk of dangerous migration, criminality and radicalization;
· Enhancing community safety, conflict mediation and security sector governance; and
· Reducing the risks associated with mines, Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) and IED.
The overall purpose of the role
Under the overall supervision of the Technical Field Manager, the responsibility of the EOD instructor is to assist the TFM in all EOD training related matters and to deliver timely and high-quality EOD level 1 and 2 trainings to Nigeria Police EOD units in North East of the country.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
· Assist in the preparation of the lessons to be delivered to the Nigeria Police Officers.
· Deliver timely and high-quality lectures during EOD level 1 training to Nigeria Police Officers in accordance with DDG SOPs and IMAS.
· Assist in the planning and the implementation of practical exercises.
· Build effective working relationships with DRC/DDG staff and the Nigeria Police Officers.
· Ensure the safety and security of trainees engaged in EOD training.
· Provide debriefings and report of the EOD course by highlighting both strengths and weaknesses for future learning and adaptation.
· Carry out any other activity related to EOD training as per the guidance of the TFM.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have strong leadership skills and capacity to plan and deliver EOD training with strong pedagogy skills. You need to have political and cultural sensitivity, as well as diplomatic, tactful and flexible interpersonal style.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
· A minimum of 3 years of proven recent experience in EOD training
· Strong on liaison and networking with police, both on a national and local level.
· Proven ability to mentor and coach others.
· EOD Level 3, ideally EOD 3+ as well as knowledge of IEDD.
· Preferably either police or military experience.
· EOD trainer qualified
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 1 Month
Designation of Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria. An unaccompanied Duty Station
Start date: 20/01/2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Ahmed Hassen, Head of Programme-DDG Nigeria E-mail: [email protected]
How to Apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 16 /01/2020
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo