Business Development & Partnership Manager, El Kul
Job Title: Business Development & Partnership Manager, El Kul
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Special Requirements: Right to work in Tunisia
Reports to: Editor, North Africa
Contract: Local fixed term, till end of March 2022
Salary: Highly competitive within Tunisia, NGO market rates
Closing date: Midnight Wednesday 5th February 2020
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English by email to: [email protected]– with the reference: “Business Development & Partnership Manager – BBC Media Action” by midnight on Wednesday 5th February 2020. Only applicants with separate cover letters will be considered.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate cover letter will not be considered. These are local posts applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tunisia and national terms and conditions will apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action, the BBC’s international development organisation, uses the power of media and communication to inform, connect and empower people around the world, helping them to shape their own lives. BBC Media Action is independent from the BBC, but shares the BBC’s fundamental values and has partnerships with the BBC World Service and national broadcasters that reach millions of people in developing countries.
Overview of the role
Over the past four years, El Kul has developed into a reputable social media platform through support, mentorship and guidance from BBC Media Action. Now, El Kul is looking to transition into its own, independent entity, and we expect to see it operating independently from 2022. We are seeking a Business Manager to act as a representative of El Kul, identifying business opportunities and securing funding to support El Kul’s transition. You will be working closely with the finance and project teams to manage budgets and ensure business strategies are being met. The goal will be to ensure the success of El Kul’s activities to drive sustainable development and long-term success in attaining their future independence as its own entity.
El Kul is a Libyan focused digital platform, however, the role will be based in BBC Media Action’s North Africa office in Tunis and will be offered on a local Tunisian contract basis in line with local labour law.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Design business strategies and plans that meet El Kul’s goals and that strive for its sustainable independence.
- Lead El Kul’s planning, management of resourcing and budgeting activities. This will involve keeping our financial information up to date and working closely with the project and finance teams.
- To lead the proposal development process for El Kul, bringing in project and finance teams where necessary.
- Responsible for all donor narratives and financial reports.
- Working with the BBC Media Action Project Manager and wider BBC Media Action, to manage projects which have an El Kul element in them – ensuring all projects adhere to funder requirements and meet project objectives and guidelines.
- Assess and identify new opportunities for El Kul’s growth in current and prospective markets.
- Ensure that El Kul’s work is compliant with local laws and regulations.
- Ensure that El Kul registration process and other required activities are completed in line with the El Kul business plan.
- To be aware of HR, safeguarding, procurement, data protection and other BBC MA policies and guidelines and to ensure that projects activities are compliant with them.
- Working with the El Kul Editor to be responsible for effective staff management within the team, providing guidance and support to the broader team on contractual issues, inductions, staff performance issues, appraisals and team structural changes.
- Working with the El Kul Editor to have key responsibility for ensuring team development, leading on the planning and delivery of staff training and development of competencies.
- Understand and comply with the Safeguarding policy and the staff Code of Conduct.
- Participate in relevant mandatory training on Safeguarding and Respect at Work.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
- Strong record in business development from international development donors.
- Proven experience in business management and strategy development for a local NGO, CSO or organisation.
- Sound financial management and planning skills, with some experience in a financial/operations support environment.
- Experience in managing project budgets, including tracking and forecasting spending.
- Experience producing and checking contracts and other legal documentation.
- Experience in conducting or overseeing recruitment.
- Strong IT skills, particularly in using Microsoft Excel (advanced level).
- Strong administration, planning, project management and co-ordination skills.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to engage appropriately with others.
- Excellent written and fluent spoken English/Arabic. French language skills desired.