Project Coordinator – Monguno Nigeria – M/F
THE ALIMA ASSOCIATION
ALIMA’s purpose is to save lives and provide care for the most vulnerable populations, without any discrimination based on identity, religion or politics, through actions based on proximity, innovation, and the alliance of organizations and individuals. We act with humanity and impartiality in accordance with universal medical ethics. To gain access to patients, we undertake to act in a neutral and independent manner.
Our CHARTER defines the VALUES and PRINCIPLES of our action:
- Putting the Patient First
- Revolutionizing humanitarian medicine
- Responsibility and freedom
- Improve the quality of our actions
- Placing trust
- Collective intelligence
CARING – INNOVATING – TOGETHER:
Since its creation in 2009, ALIMA has treated more than 3 million patients and today deploys its operations in 11 African countries . In 2018 we developed 41 humanitarian medical response projects to meet the needs of populations affected by conflicts, epidemics and extreme poverty. All of these projects are carried out in support to national authorities through nearly 330 health facilities (including 28 hospitals and 300 health facilities). Whenever possible We work in partnership with local NGOs to ensure that our patients benefit from the best and most relevant expertise wherever it is, whether within their own country or in the rest of the world. In addition, to improve the humanitarian response, We are carrying out operational and clinical research projects particularly in the field of the fight against malnutrition and hemorrhagic viral fevers.
more than 1800 people are currently working for ALIMA. The field teams, closest to the patients, receive their support from coordination teams generally based in the countries’ capitals. These receive support from the 3 desk teams and the emergency and opening team based at the operational headquarters in Dakar, Senegal. The Paris and New York teams are actively working to raise funds and represent ALIMA. The rest of the ALIMA Galaxy includes individuals and partner teams working on behalf of other organizations such as medical NGOs BEFEN, ALERT Health, SOS Doctors / KEEOGO, AMCP, research organizations PACCI and INSERM, Bordeaux or Copenhagen Universities, the INGO Solidarités International and many others.
COUNTRIES WHERE WE WORK IN 2018
Mali, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Cameroon, Guinea, South Sudan and Mauritania.
THE WORK WE DO covers:
Malnutrition, Maternal Health, Primary Health, Pediatrics, Malaria, Epidemics (Ebola, Cholera, Measles, Dengue, Lassa Fever), Hospitalization, Emergencies, Gender Based Violence.
JOB LOCATION Nigeria, Monguno
Report to (Direct): Head of Mission
MISSION AND MAIN ACTIVITIES
The Project Coordinator is responsible for ALIMA operational response in the Project. In close collaboration with the mission coordination team, define and plan the Project objectives and priorities, identifying population’s health and humanitarian needs, analysing the context and the humanitarian issues at stake, the risks and constraints and calculating human and financial needs. Coordinate, in close collaboration with the Head of Mission, its implementation in order to efficiently ensure the goals as well as to improve targeted population’s health conditions and humanitarian situation.
● Supervise the political and humanitarian situation in the project’s area in order to ensure that ALIMA’s charter, policies and image are respected with regards to national employees, populations, authorities and partners
● Together with the project team, evaluate needs by identifying the population’s health status, by analysing the context (environment, actors involved, negotiations for access etc.) and associated risks and constraints in order to define priorities and projects goals and to calculate material, human and financial resources needed
● Together with the project team and the Head of Mission monitor the security situation in the area of intervention, propose security guidelines and guarantee their implementation in order to ensure the security if the project team.
● Propose and carry out exploratory missions, according to Head of Mission’s indications, in order to better comprehend context, priorities, constraints and population needs
● Ensure a data collection and epidemiological surveillance system, in agreement with the Medical Coordinator, in order to define medical and technical programs and preventive protocols for the targeted population
● Steer and supervise the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project in collaboration with the project team and according to the internal and donor indicators in order to evaluate the level of achievement of the project objectives.
● Provide reporting to the coordination team on project’s evolution and propose corrections if needed
● Elaborate the Project’s institutional memory, keeping written records (and file them) on its development, in order to broadcast ALIMA achievements and improve awareness
● In coordination with the Administration Manager and Activity Managers, plan and organise the organizational charts, plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
● Inform the field team on the instructions given by the mission coordination promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules and medical ethics
● Supervise full implementation of safety and health protocols, reporting the Medical Coordination on risky behaviours, in order to ensure safe working conditions for the project staff
● Be responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for
● In coordination with the Administration Manager and Activity Managers, identify training needs, provide individual follow up and coaching, carry out end of mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to ALIMA values and project’s goals.
● Supervise the project material resources put at ALIMA’s disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity.
● Supervise all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the coordination, in order ensure efficiency and early detect deviations and its causes.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
● University degree or paramedical diploma/degree desirable.
● Previous experience in humanitarian aid
● Experiences with international medical NGOs & experience in project management desirable.
● Experience in security management highly desirable.
● English Speaking, reading and writing, mandatory. French is an asset.
● Essential computer literacy (word, excel & internet).
● Negotiation skills
● Strong interpersonal skills
Contract: contract under French law; contract length: 6 months, renewable.
Starting Date: ASAP
Salary: depending on experience + per diem
· Travel costs between the employee’s country of origin and Abuja, Nigeria, unless recruited locally;
· Five weeks annual leave per year as well as a recovery system for days spent on work travels;
· Medical cover insurance including repatriation insurance for the employee and her/ his dependents, as per the definition of our insurer.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your CV and your answers to the following questions (which stands for a classical cover letter) on our job page before 06/03/2020 : https://candidatures.alima.ong/jobs/detail/163?utm_campaign=Campagne+d%27offres+&utm_source=webrelief&utm_medium=Website
The answer to the following questions :
· What do you know about Alima and why do you want to join our team in the field ?
· What is your main achievement as a Project Coordinator in an Emergency Response context ?
· In your opinion, what are the 3 main skills of a good Project Coordinator in a project like Monguno ?
· On a scale to 1 to 10, what is your level spoken and written in English, French, Haussa?
· What is your availability to begin to work?
Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful. Only full applications (CV pdf + answer to questions) will be taken into account. Only accepted applications will be contacted.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.