DEPUTY COUNTRY DIRECTOR – SUPPORT
ABUJA, NIGERIA DURATION : 12 MONTHS START DATE : 2020-03-15
Action Against Hunger (Action Contre la Faim – ACF) began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming and looking at the Nutrition for children, pregnant and lactating mothers. In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and in Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations in Borno State in 2014 in response to the crisis to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security & livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe and 3 in Jigawa.
The Nigeria mission came under ACF-FR management on January 1st 2019. Financing is issued from donors such as DFID, ECHO, GAC, OFDA, SDC, UNICEF, EU, USAID, AFD, French Ministry of Foreign affairs, SIDA and UNOCHA NHF. The total budget amounts to approximately 70 million USD. The mission has over 600 staff including over 40 international employees. There are three base offices: Damaturu, Maiduguri and Dutse and four sub bases including Monguno, Potiskum, Bade and Damasak.
Abuja is calm and there is now curfew for ACF staff in Abuja. All Abuja based expats are assigned permanent rooms in the guesthouse. ACF has a well-equipped Gym in Abuja Guest House for the use of staff. There are 4 Janitors available during week days in the guesthouse. They are responsible for cleaning all the rooms and laundry of clothes.
As Abuja is a capital with a large number of international development and humanitarian organizations are having their coordination offices. In the city, there are all sort of restaurants in which you can find the variety of foreign foods along with local foods. Abuja has many shopping malls where one can buy easily any sort of staff and daily need based grocery etc.
As a member of the Senior Management Team of the mission, you will provide leadership and management of all the support services functions and systems within the mission (Log., Fin., HR, and Audit) to ensure quality support to program implementation in line with the strategy, policies, good practices and donor guidelines.
You will be responsible to coordinate risk management processes, follow up on implementation of recommendations made to support department and manage the country program based internal control
Coordinate support department work plans, projects implementation plan, strategies and plans of action (development and implementation)
- Support the development and implementation of the support aspects of the Country strategy plan of action on annual basis
- Support the development and implementation of the Support departmental strategies (Finance, Logistics, HR and Internal Control/Audit) and plan of action on annual basis
- Ensure coordination between support department and program implementation teams for the development of planning and management tools (mission funding plan, HR forecasting, supply plan, equipment forecasts, etc.)
Overall Management of support functions
- Line manage Finance, HR, Logistics and Internal Control Head of Departments (HoD).
- Assign objectives, perform regular meetings for feedback and required appraisals with the HoD to ensure sounds management of individuals and coherence of objectives/vision among the team.
- Ensure that Financial, Logistics and HR guidelines are adhered to at all times and compliant with donor’s policies, guidelines, and government regulations. Lead the renewal of exemptions (VAT…) and other certifications obtainable.
- Coordinate with finance and Logistics HoD to ensure synergy between cash flow and procurement planning to meet operational need.
Risk Management, Compliance & internal control/audit
- Monitor and continue developing the Internal Control Framework and internal control department (ICD).
- Produce reports with recommendations on areas that need improvement on financial transactions, procedures, and policies to ensure compliance and reduce the risk of fraud, abuse, and waste.
- Coordinate and conduct periodic compliance reviews to ensure work is carried out ethically and in compliance with national and international laws and regulations, professional standards, accepted business practices, and internal policies and procedures.
- Responsible for leading audit preparation and assist/respond during internal and external audits.
You have at least 5 years of experience as a member of a management team in the humanitarian sector with a strong background in finance, HR and logistics. You must have an expertise in current safety and security practices and issues affecting aid work globally.
You have experience working in a multi-cultural environment with comprehensive knowledge of the context and challenges of operating in Nigeria. You are known for your diplomatic and sensitive to cross cultural issues, your capacity to work under pressure and your creativity. You are an excellent communicator and have specifics negotiation skills.
You have a good understanding of risk management, a strong analytical and practical problem-solving skill, and a strong supervisory ability.
To be fluent in English (written and spoken) is mandatory.
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS / SALARY
Remuneration and benefits:
- Monthly gross salary from 2735 to 3185€ upon experience
- Per diem and living allowance: 539 € (cf eurocost) net, field paid.
- + 150€ as country allowance
- + 16% of monthly gross. For non-French citizen for retrocession of retirement and unemployment insurance.
- + child allowance
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- + 20 RnR per year.
- + 215 € at each RnR period (averagely every 3 months).
- 2/3 days training on finance tools before departure
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
It is one of the most exciting programs with a very large portfolio of programs and donors. The work on risk management is particularly very interesting.